Wednesday, October 6, 2010

These are the good times

I'm really happy, Internet.

It's not anything in particular.  I just feel good.  I'm pretty healthy.  I'm in the best shape I've been in since the last millenium.  I'm in love with my husband.  Our furry little child substitutes are fuzzy and entertaining, and we won't have to pay for their college.  There's no drama in my life.  My coworkers are good and my boss is awesome.  My horse has finally grown up and and is enjoyable to ride.  The house isn't falling down.  The weather is spectacular.  And there's a bag of chocolate in the drawer with my name on it.

One of the effects of my hike is this happiness.  It's sticking with me.  I thought traffic, or work, or life surrounded by thousands of grumbling people might wear it down.  Doesn't seem like that's happening.  I'm not sure exactly why I'm so happy.  Six months of vacation is pretty awesome, I admit.  But I don't think that's all of it.  I think that all that time spent alone, in my own head, helped me get to the core of who I am.  And what I am, way down inside, is a fairly simple, happy person. 

I've managed to carry some of the basics of my hike back into daily life.  I'm better at noticing beauty.  I get more sleep.  I'm better at problem solving.  I appreciate JD more.  If possible, I love him more.  I care less about the fussy details and more about the important parts.

I'm pretty sure that at some point I'm going to look back on my 40th year and think it was the best time of my life.  It definitely seems that way now.

Thruhiking isn't for everybody.  But it was definitely for me.





Me, thirty years from now, looking back and thinking it was pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. Saturating your brain for six months with happy endorphins and other alert-and-awake hormones actually rewrites some of the pathways, generally in a permanent way. Nice bonus, hey?

    ReplyDelete