Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jury doody

I have to report to the courthouse for jury duty tomorrow.  In theory I am cool with this.  Civic duty and all.  But jury duty doesn't happen at some civilized time.  No, you have to be at the courthouse by 7:30.  Normally I've barely finished my cereal by then.  Heck, this morning I turned off my alarm when it went off, and didn't wake up until nearly 8.

I figure to get up, get dressed*, eat, drive to the courthouse, get the shuttle bus from the parking lot to the courthouse**, and be at the jury duty room by 7:30, I'll need to set my alarm for about 5:30.  That's oh dark thirty.  I don't like getting up in the dark.  I don't think well then.  I don't drive well then.  I will definitely be grumpy.

I'll have to drive significantly farther than I do on a normal morning.  In heavier traffic.  Grumpity.

Given that I'm getting over a cold, I will also be coughing a lot.  Maybe they'll excuse me on the grounds that my cough is annoying.

*You have to dress "professionally".  Yeah, I'm a UNIX sysadmin.  Professional for me is a tshirt with something rude on it, and jeans.  Or sweats.  Or, whatever.  You know.  Stuff.  Usually but not always with no extraneous holes.

**The courthouse is in a tiny, tiny town.  The building was greatly expanded a few years back.  The town is so tiny that there isn't room any more to park at the dang courthouse.  You have to park at a nearby large parking lot and get a shuttle over.  The courthouse has been rebuilt twice after fires.  They couldn't have decided to bag it and rebuild somewhere with enough room?  Sheesh.
This IS my professional attire!

2 comments:

  1. Re your shirt. Maybe a little respect for the court, its participants and all it represents might not have been out of order. The time or two that I've been in a courtroom I was deeply sad. My feelings would have been hurt if a jury member thought the proceedings were funny enough to wear a beer shirt that would have been more suitable for a tailgate party or an IT person to wear at work. Compassion is cheap, pass it around when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fwiw, anonymous, that was what I wore to work. The courthouse got a button down striped shirt.

    ReplyDelete