Monday, October 18, 2010

May have taken longer to write than to do

Oof, Internet.  It's been kind of a long day.  Usually I have some time to sit and relax at some point, but 13 hours in I'm just now finding the time.  Still, it's been good.  Today's the first day since that first suspicious scratching of the throat that I feel healthy.  And that is a delicious, intoxicating feeling.  Delicious and intoxicating sounds like a piña colada to me.  Or a nice apricot beer.  Perhaps today was an apricot beer day.  I believe I shall think of it that way.  Not that I've had anything to drink.  Alcoholically speaking.

I almost got something done at work today.  I thought about it for a while, and I did some things that go oddly together (exported NFS from OSX, mounted it onto VMS) but was defeated because I forgot you can't backup the system disk of a VMS machine while it's booted from the disk.  So now I'm working on options.  The VMS machine in question is nearly dead, and may or may not be responding to console.  We don't have a vtterm, we have a laptop that fakes being a serial console.  So maybe the laptop isn't working right, or maybe the VMS machine isn't working right.  Either way, I'm kind of up a creek.  Perhaps I'll find a way to make it work tomorrow.*

I got to go for a walk with my work walking pal today, and that was very fine.  (I missed our talks while I was hiking this year.  I'd be hiking along, having hiked five hours already, and think "Gosh, I wish I could go on my daily walk."  Which always cracked me up.  )  The weather was perfect for walking, and it felt great to get out and move.

The afternoon was one of those where a line formed outside my cubicle.  We only have like six employees now, so I thought the days of the cubicle line were over.  Wrong!  Once you have visitors it is possible.  Maybe I should have let Joe put in one of those "take a number" machines after all.

It's nice to feel needed?

You may not be surprised to hear that I didn't linger.  As soon as my eight were up, I boogied.  All the problems will still be there tomorrow.  I'm afraid I'm past the days where I wish to stay late to fix problems that aren't endangering human health or spacecraft instruments.  Likely they'll make more sense when I'm rested, anyway.

JD took the old man to the vet.  They needed ... samples.  For testing.  Now, Trouble is not a helpful, easygoing cat.  People who know him do not generally volunteer to pet him.  They have to restrain him pretty thoroughly to work on him at the vet's office, sometimes, because that cat will cut a bitch.  And if you restrain him in every way possible, he will use his last defense.  Which is to pee on you.  But in this particular instance, that works in the vet's favor.  All they have to do is irritate him a bit, and he'll provide a sample.  The vet tech stands ready with a ladle.  I didn't ask what they did to get the sample and I don't really want to know.

Anyway, while that was going on I decided to go for a jog.  I started Couch to 5K Week Two today.  I wondered if I should redo Week One after my snotfest, but apparently I'm good with Week Two.  The jogging felt nice and I was dang perky afterward.  I really need to start doing it in the morning, but I am just so not a morning person.  I regard morning exercise as cruel and unusual.  JD says it works for him because by the time he's awake enough to notice how awful it is, he's just about done.  But I fed horses in the morning for years and it pretty much always sucked, and I noticed.  So I don't think that will work for me.

After I arrived back at the house, all sweaty and perky, my love took me out to a Chinese buffet for deliciousness.  They were treated to the sight of a middle aged sysadmin in spandex.  I'm sure their optic nerves will recover by tomorrow, though the twitching may take longer.

Then a quick zip by the grocery (where they no longer carry frozen french rolls, which makes me very sad) and finally home.  Day wasn't done yet, though.  We had to fold and put away all the laundry and straighten up the house.  Tomorrow the cleaning fairies stop by.  They have much better luck if they can actually find the floor and kitchen counters when they get here.

And after that (I'm nearly panting just listing all this) I went through the last 18 months worth of photos, trying to find something reasonable of Pluto to submit to the annual calendar.  I haven't been around much this year, so the stock of photographs is pretty slim.  I hope the calendar elves like one of the two I selected.

And now, Internet, I can relax.  The only problem is I am freaking AWAKE.  Dang healthy jogging.

*This nerdy interlude brought to you by the fine folks at NASA.

No comments:

Post a Comment