Saturday, October 23, 2010

I may have been an idiot, but I had a good time doing it.

My migraine woke me up this morning, but it was the dog who made me get out of bed.  I waited for JD to come down and make breakfast before I took the next Imitrex, though. You do not want to have one of those on an empty stomach. It's a bad trip if you do. So today I had waffles and Imitrex for breakfast.  Mmmmm.

After I chemically tamed my brain, I went out to the park. I don't think I've been since 2009. We had horrendous snow, then I left. And I hadn't made time for it since I got home in mid September. The park is looking good. All the bridges are repaired and there are no trees down on the trail. Plus this is a pretty time of year to walk in the woods. 

I didn't do my couch to 5k run last night due to extreme Friday suckiness, so I decided to do that first, then hike the rest of the way.** I carried my hiking poles collapsed for the jogging and found that they balanced me nicely.   The nice British lady in the podcast told me when to run and when to walk, and I concentrated on not tripping over the roots that infest the trail. 

It felt great. By the end I had no desire to stop. I felt like I had just gotten warmed up. And for me, half an hour is a ludicrously short time for exercise. So at the last run, I just kept going. I ran until the end of the podcast. And I liked it. 

Due to a comedy of errors committed earlier this week, I had another podcast in the queue, and it started playing automatically. It was not week three as you might expect. It was week eight. I figured what the hell. I'd never looked ahead so I was a little surprised when NBL* said there would be 28 minutes of running with no breaks. But I wanted to go and I could stop anytime I wanted. And the music was good. I was finding trail running to be significantly easier than running in the neighborhood, with the softer earth to run on. Plus, damn, I love being out in the woods. 

So NBL said go and I went. Possibly I was under the influence of endorphins. I just flowed. At the end of 28 minutes I wasn't ready to stop, so I ran through the cooldown music and NBL talking at the end.*** I felt like I could keep going, but enough idiocy had already been committed today. So I argued with myself but I walked the next two miles. 

My left knee feels a little off, so I'll ice it this afternoon. I bet I'm stiff tomorrow. 

I have to go in to work at one, and my genius jogging plan left me with an hour to spare. So I stopped in at Five Guys for a mostly guilt free burger, fries, and coke.  Food tastes so much better after a little exercise, doesn't it?

So aaanyway, my couch to 5k program accidentally took two weeks. I've really, really enjoyed it, so I guess I'll keep going. Maybe I'll even buy jogging shoes. 

*Nice British Lady

**This was not the idiotic part. 

***This was the idiotic part. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised you're finding this. With minimal shoes like so many advocate, I could easily see you running an hour a day and happy with it.

    Stop figuring it out and do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps that 6 months of thru-hiking has well prepared you for a mere 5k run. The one thing that might not be totally fit for running would be your joints. If you get joint pain from running (more than you usually get from walking/hiking) then you may want to ease off on running for quite so long, to start, to give your joints time to adapt to the new impacts. E.g. try running 8-10 minute sets, with 5 minutes of walking in between (I think this might be week 5 or 6?) rather than running for 25+ minutes in one stretch.

    ReplyDelete