Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In which I actually touch a family member

This week is all about family for me. We keep in touch (well, JD keeps in touch, mostly) but we don't actually see each other much. Around the holidays we try to make an effort to have actual face time with family members. This is especially important to me because the nieces and nephews will be kids for a limited time, and then they'll be off on their own going to college, having adventures, and raising their own families. Though I hope they'll still see their great aunt me every so often. 

So today we saw JD's mom, brother, sister in law, and the newest nephew. I had missed out on seeing David before, what with thruhiking and concomitant Lyme disease. I may have gotten the better end of the deal because now he's old enough to be fun. And large enough to drive. Man those kids grow up quick. 

Later this week we'll get to see my folks, brother, sister in law, and their daughter and two sons. This might be one of my last Christmases seeing Sandy, who is getting awfully close to leaving the nest. Maybe I'll luck out and she'll be a homebody. ;) but I can't count on that so I have to make the most of the time I get before she's a big important adult with no time for humoring aunts. Then it'll be Ian's turn, all too soon. And he already has no time for humoring aunts. He's too busy developing new daredevil stunts to show the world. So I'd say there's a good chance I can just watch him on tv. I'll point and say "Yup. That's my nephew. He sure didn't get those skills from me. "

No comments:

Post a Comment