Thursday, December 9, 2010

I like me some light

I am enjoying light.  After fifteen years of working in a basement, my office now has a window (which we basically have covered because otherwise it glares on the monitors, but it's there) and is right next to the glass exit of our building.  So I am getting a *lot* more light than I have for my whole adult life.  At least office-in-the-winter-wise.  And I love me some light.  Some people love clouds, or flowers, or rain (I don't get the rain people) but I love light.

This despite being a natural redhead.  I can't survive for long in serious light.  I fry.  But in typical local light, I do quite well for up to 20 minutes at a time.  And during that 20 minutes, I *luxuriate*.  I roll around in light the way horses do in sand.  It feels good all over.  And I keep feeling good after I go back in the dark. 

When I was a kid (and this is not as unrelated as it sounds) my folks used to film Christmas.  My memories of the day start with bright light, because Dad set up a big light to help with the filming.  I think that might have been my favorite part of the day, although who doesn't love getting presents?  And mysterious mythological figures being in your home while you're sleeping?  But I was always a little sad when the light got turned off at the end.  That's how much I love light.  I was sad on Christmas.  After getting presents.

So I have high hopes for this winter, and future winters.  Not working in a basement could mean pretty impressive changes in my life.  Possibly I won't feel the need to eat potatoes and curl up under a blanket.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  (Oh wait, yes there is.)  I feel kind of .. bouncy.  In a well insulated sort of way.

JD is once more making cookies, and kittens are roaming the house.  I wish you all a merry Thursday.  I'm going to toss a fake mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment