Monday, December 6, 2010

All Mondays should be like this

Today was kind of nice, yall.  Nothing bad happened.  Yes, I took Xanax but that was my own leftover issues, not anything horrible at work. 

I woke up at  6:30, all on  my own.  Nobody yowling, no phones ringing, no dog barfing.  Just a gradual rise to consciousness and the realization that I needed to pee.  But also that I wasn't tired, which is unusual.  Especially on a Monday!  So I went ahead and got up and let kittens out and generally didn't hate the morning like one sometimes does in the winter.

Dory IMMEDIATELY headed down the stairs to see what sort of trouble she could get into.  The boys stayed upstairs and played soccer.[1]  Dory did find trouble fairly quickly.  I didn't see her for a minute or two so I went and found her.  She was backed into a corner behind our Guitar Hero guitars.  Andy was in front of her, all Puff Daddy with the big fur, and he was growling ferociously.  Now, Andy has not offered to lay a paw or a claw on the kitten, but he is making some pretty mean noises.  Dory was momentarily cowed and went back upstairs for the rest of the morning.

Which didn't last all that long, because I came up to shut the door.  All three kittens stood in the middle of the room, glared at me, and shouted "MEW!"  They were not ready to be done playing soccer yet, and they let me know.

I checked Dory's incision.  She had opened it up overnight.  A phone call and a quick drive to the vet's later, our favorite vet tech[2] said it was too late to restitch it.  So Dory gets at least three more days of the cone of shame, and neosporin.  Sigh.

Getting up early meant that despite a sudden vet visit, I wasn't late for work.  Rock!

I methodically worked through the various "HELP IT DOESNT WORK" emails and solved nearly all the problems.[3]  On the way in it had suddenly struck me as weird that NASA is having a problem with spacecraft telemetry and somehow it is my problem to fix it.  Does this seem weird to anybody else?  I mean, don't most people get problems like "we're out of fax paper" or "there is a mistake in  accounting"?  Anyway I got over the weirdness, fixed problems, and now telemetry is getting to places it should get to.  Or will very soon.

I don't usually bother to mention lunch, but today I ate something new (to me) and good.  Amy's Indian Samosa Wrap.  I am not entirely clear on what the contents were, but it was delicious.  Must buy more.

Also, I got to take a walk today for the first time in recent memory.  This might not seem like a big deal, but walking is what keeps me sane.  And if you read back over the last few weeks you might notice a certain lessening of the sanity.  Walkies, people.  Learn it.  Love it.  Do it.  Make time for your sysadmin to go outside and all will be well.

I actually left work before dark, which is extremely unusual in December even when I'm not having a hellday.  I felt vaguely celebratory.  So I came home and had Kitten Time.[4]  Dory explored the sunroom, Andy didn't kill anybody, and the boys sat on the landing at the top of the stairs.  At their current rate of descent, they should be to the living room by Christmas.

I forcibly cuddled everybody,  decided that Olli is definitely an athlete,[5] and called it a night.

Oh, and I know you're sick of hearing about my pets but you know who is the happiest dog ever?  The one who got to lick the lasagna pan clean tonight. 

Oh, and now I'm listening to Neil Gaiman, Amanda F*cking Palmer, and Kevin Smith on the internet and I believe I've reached Nerdvana.


[1] Which is hilarious.  Did we adopt Hispanic kittens?  They are far more skilled than the kittens in the neighborhood where I grew up. 

[2] Aleta

[3] Some problems are too hard even for me.  Especially since I can't have coffee now.

[4] I feel that Kitten Time needs theme music.  Something surfer music-ish.

[5] He purrs at the prospect of getting to bat something around.

1 comment:

  1. If you dig the Kevin Smith podcasts, the one he just started doing with his wife (which is called 'Plus One', IIRC) is also pretty funny...

    ReplyDelete