Saturday, October 22, 2011

Yay! Also, I have a Twilight magazine to read.

Okay, today was a really great day.  I'm hoping for a twofer - tomorrow could be really great too.

Pluto got his mani-pedi.  Steve says that a lot of horses' feet got pretty bad this trimming cycle.  I'm thinking it's the wet weather.  Whatever the reason, Stinker is now trimmed up, and our next appointment will be a little early just in case.

I talked to Steve some about his back problems, looking for more insight into my own.  He has very similar disk issues.  He went to some cutting edge (hee) guy, and his surgery took half an hour.  That's crazy!  And he walked out of there the same day!  He knows somebody else who went to the same place who got a jointed titanium disk replacement.  Hmmmm.  Maybe things are looking up in the sucky back treatment area.

Horses:  Just as bad as people at keeping their eyes open for the camera

I don't know why I thought a picture of Pluto's tack would be helpful

After farriery, I tacked Pluto up and rode him briefly.  More briefly than I planned, because I decided to ride in two point (i.e., all my weight in the stirrups, not on my butt.)  After not very long, my back cramped up.  It wasn't zingy, which makes me think it was just weak muscles.  Assuming I don't notice any repercussions, I'm going to try to work in (very) short stretches of two point every ride, to try to build that area up.

Typically, on a weekend, I'll ride, then get lunch, then nap.  So I installed the Chipotle app on my phone, ordered lunch from the farm, and picked it up on the way home.  Awesome!  I cut right to the front of the line and was out of there in seconds.  Only problem was, after lunch I couldn't nap.  I tried.  I was warm and cozy and comfy, but I couldn't get to sleep.  How aggravating is that?

The dog couldn't sleep either


I eventually gave up and meandered downstairs.  Somehow I happened upon something that I've been dreaming of:  a backpack made with an ultralight packbag, but framing that looks like it will transfer weight from the shoulders to the hips.

The Zpacks Exo

It seems to be pretty new.  I haven't been able to find reviews of it carrying a full load.  But it's looking like maybe a good option.

The problem with Zpacks is I could pretty much spend all my money there, plus some I don't have.  Their Solo or Solo Plus Hexamid tent is looking attractive as well.  I'm waiting to see how the Canadian Geese like theirs.

This evening I went out to Chanan's for dinner.  JD's in trouble now.  When I got there, alone, they tried to seat me without my having paid first.  They just assumed he was coming in behind me.  "He pays, right?"  I had to repeat that there was just one tonight.  And that I was paying.  "So where's your husband?"  I told them he was at Walt Disney World. "He went without you?!"  Yup.  This isn't a problem for me, but JD going without me?  And not paying for my dinner?  Apparently it's Just Not Right.

Also, my fortune was ominous.

No comments:

Post a Comment