Friday, October 7, 2011

The Black Turtleneck Club


As you undoubtedly know (how could you miss it?) Steve Jobs died recently.  Yesterday I was talking with the scanning team at work, and they mentioned that they were going to wear black turtlenecks and jeans to work on Friday as a tribute to Steve, who as far as we can tell wore that outfit as a uniform.  I thought it was a fine idea and decided to follow suit.  Or turtleneck.

Our door also wore a black turtleneck

You will have to take my word for the jeans
The day passed unremarkably (although I did have a very fine lunch date with my husband.)  This evening I had to pack for the weekend.  My camping gear was once again spread hither and yon.  I never did find my sports tape.  Instead I jaunted quickly to the grocery store and picked up a new roll.  I will undoubtedly find the old roll within two days.  However, if I had not gone to the store, the old roll would have remained hidden forever.

After searching the living room, sunroom, dining room, kitchen, guest room, both bathrooms, and JD's car, I finally reassembled my gear.  I think.  If not, I think I at least have enough to survive on.  Probably.  It's two days in Shenandoah, it's not like I need that much.

It was a good thing that I ended up looking everywhere, because I had totally forgotten about my new pole tips.  They are needed because my old, beaten down pole tips were no longer pointy enough to stay in their grommets inside my tent.  As a result, every little jostle brought the tent down on my head.  Not very fun.

See what I mean?  Maine.  Maine did that.
I weighed the pack, and it's about 26 lb.  That's a lot for a low mileage overnight trip.  I have some extra materials in there to help me remain unsunburnt.  The other hikers will no doubt poke fun at my parasol, but if that's what it takes to get me out in the woods, that's what I'll do.  Ditto for the long sleeves and long pants while it's 70 degrees out.  

I'm sleepy and going to bed now, but I was reminded this evening of something very funny that I once read.  It's in many places on the internet.  This is the first link to it I found.  Read, enjoy, and try not to snort your beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment