Sunday, October 16, 2011

Perfectly ordinary, perfectly beautiful

Good GRAVY I love fall days like this.  The leaves are turning, the sun is bright, the sky is quite blue, and it's warm enough to be in shirtsleeves if you're active.

Fall doesn't last long enough.  Fall and spring never do.  They're the best times, and the shortest.  I suppose that makes them all the more sweet.

My day has been awesome.  Not just because of how beautiful it is outside, although it didn't hurt.  I slept in, ate apple pancakes that JD had made, and then went out to ride my horse.  And this time I actually rode him.  I covered up as much as I could, wore sunscreen, and used my giant goofy looking Equivisor.  I'm pretty sure I escaped without sunburn.  I kept forgetting my head effectively projected out several more inches, so I bonked Pluto on the forehead multiple times while nodding or bending down.  He didn't appear to mind.

His feet, which were perfect last week, now look as if they've been through a wood chipper.  They were good enough for riding at the walk, though, and since that's all I'm doing they were good enough.  I've texted the farrier to see when he can get out.

Pluto and I worked on side pass today.  He so, so didn't get it.  I hopped off and worked with him on the ground.  With me pushing him, he could do it.  I expect we'll work it out under saddle.  I'm using the voice cues "left" and "right".  Soon I shall find out if Pluto can tell his left from his right.  Right now, when I ask for sidepass he does this line dancing maneuver where he goes forward, back, and side to side.  He may have "Achy Breaky Heart" playing in his head.

I was grateful that he has finally grown a brain when I dropped a ziplock back while riding him.  It drifted past his head and landed on the ground in front of him.  He grew several inches taller but did not otherwise react.  When I was sure he wasn't going to bolt, I dismounted to get the bag back.  First, though, I fed him a cookie from it.  He decided the bag probably wasn't evil.

On the walk back, I made him stop and back up several times.  This accomplished two goals.  One:  work on his backing up skills, which have never been spectacular.  Two:  remind him that I am the one in charge while we walk back to the field.  He's very well behaved in the arena these days, but not so much on the walk home.  Given that my options have changed from "dressage queen" to "gentle walk work and ground training" I am much more focused on his ground behavior than I used to be.  I hope to someday (maybe someday soon!) have a horse worthy of showing off for his skills in hand.

I love the ray of light shining down on him

Between the ears shot, shortly before the ziplock bag attacked
This afternoon is dedicated to domestic activities.  Throwing things away, doing laundry, and generally sorting things out.  It's not as fun as playing the with horse, but still rewarding.  I hope to find some sofa and book time later on.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment