Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I am old and I hunger

My diet went to hell in a handbasket this evening.  I was doing really well during the day.  Oatmeal for breakfast, dentistry instead of a midmorning snack, JD's special super healthy lasagna (with chicken, low fat cheese,  lots of veggies,and whole wheat pasta), yogurt and strawberries.

Then it got dark, and rained, and I had a discomfiting doctor's visit [1], and I felt all achy and yucky.

Came home, ate the little bit of ice cream left in the pint.  Then a piece of turkey bacon.  Then some thin crust pizza.  Then a microwaved apple.  And now I'm on to the hot chocolate.  Also, please note that I'm not at yoga.

I have to be at a meeting tomorrow that starts at the same time I've been dragging myself out of bed in the morning.  I'm still on antibiotics for Lyme, and although I'm feeling pretty good, I do still find myself needing more sleep.  I hope that eases up when I finish the round of doxycycline.  But what it means for me right now is that I need to get to sleep as early as I can tonight, and tomorrow morning is probably going to suck anyway.

Also, there's a 90% chance it will still be raining.


Skeered, mom.  Let's hide under covers.


[1] Oh, the doctor's visit?  I met with a new doctor at my ob/gyn practice.  I mean, he's not new himself, I've just never seen him before.  I was there to ask about Essure.  It's permanent contraception - rather than having your "tubes tied" you plug them up, and scar tissue forms around the plugs, and then your eggs can't get out to be fertilized.  Yay!  The website makes it seem like a no-brainer.

However, the doc did not give me warm fuzzies.  First, he wants me to take birth control pills prior to the surgery to thin my uterine lining so he can actually find the opening to the fallopian tubes.  If I were comfortable with taking birth control pills, I would just take them and not need another option.  My previous experience has been bad.

Second, this practice does not perform the procedure in the office. They use a surgical center an hour's drive away.

Third, this doctor insists on anesthesia.  I don't react particularly well to general anesthesia.  Not having it was one of the benefits of a non-surgical approach that I was looking forward to.  With anesthesia I'd have to have somebody drive me to the surgical center and drive me home afterward.

Fourth, several months after the procedure you have to have your uterus filled with dye, and then  have an x-ray taken.  This doesn't sound like fun either.  And if the x-ray shows that the Essure didn't work?  It's all for nothing.  And you still have to be really careful about birth control, because you're now at much higher risk for ectopic pregnancy.

Not to mention the "you MIGHT have a reaction to the nickel that will be in your body for the rest of your life.  It's not hugely likely."  Gosh, my ears hated cheap nickel earring posts.  I wonder how my fallopian tubes feel about nickel springs?

Fifth, and this part was not actually problematic for me, he won't even consider doing it while I'm being treated for Lyme disease.  The problematic part is "when are you considered healed up from Lyme disease?"  Either this coming Saturday, or in six months, or never depending on whom you ask.

Sixth, he pointed out that you get a lot less use out of permanent contraception by getting it at 41 compared to 35.  Implied:  "Just wait for menopause!"  Also:  "Old.  You're Old."

2 comments:

  1. Sixth? I'd report his insensitivity to both his practice, and the medical board. This is sexist, and completely unacceptable. Would he consider it acceptable to tell men who are married to 41 year old women that they "will get a lot less use out of their vascetomies" because of their age and the age of their spouse? Hell No!

    As for your options, ask if they have a ceramic or gold Essure-like fallopian-tube plugging device option, instead of the nickel. Given your ear's experience with nickel posts I definitely wouldn't recommend putting it inside your abdomen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only other option is Adiana, which uses medical grade silicone.

    ReplyDelete