Thursday, October 20, 2011

I hardly bit anyone, today

Went to work today.  Snapped at, and then apologized to, coworkers who totally did not deserve snappage.  Spent some quiet time in the freezer (aka server room) and managed to rein in my temper somewhat.  This evening I'm feeling a bit more sane.

The Canadian Gander suggested I spend some time planning a trip.  (He's a hiker too.)  It's a good suggestion.  So with no further ado, some winter trip planning.  In this case I'm less concerned with where I go than what I'll take.  My gear is lightweight or ultralight for the most part.  That doesn't seem to translate well to cold weather, based on how miserably cold I've felt.  I do all right while I'm moving.  At night, though, the cold feet and cold butt are just awful.  I need more and heavier gear.

I'm really not looking forward to how heavy that pack is going to be.

Some specifics to add or swap:

15 degree Montbell U.L. Super Spiral, swapped for 30 degree bag

66" or 72" Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad, swapped for 72" NeoAir (Or take the NeoAir AND a foam pad)

Added long underwear bottom (Smartwool?)
Second added long underwear bottom of some type

My upper half is pretty good with what I already have - wicking shirt, stretch fleece top, down jacket, windbreaker or raincoat

Maybe some mittens in addition to my fleece gloves?

Swap white gas stove for alcohol stove, maybe?

Add hot water bottles.

Add balaclava

And I think that's it for now.  At the rate the weather is changing, I'm going to need some of it for my Veteran's Day trip.

Look how much calmer I am already.  Trip planning is good.

One more day of work and smacking machines around, and then it'll finally be the weekend.  I'm looking forward to getting Pluto's feet trimmed (he went from looking perfect to looking awful in one week), riding with Tara, and hanging out at the Renaissance Festival.  Given that I'm an Old Married Lady now, I can look but not touch.  I'll have to egg on my single friends so I can voyeuristically enjoy the male offerings.  I tend to applaud any man in tights I happen to see.

Some scenes from my day:

This was all green last week

Thank goodness we have places to get outside and walk around so I can see prettiness

Thumbnail sketch of life at a science facility.  Donuts on left, giant shiny tank of gas (maybe nitrogen?) to right, infinite hallway directly ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment