Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm reupping for five this time. My titre's pretty high.

I think the time for term marriage is long overdue in this society.  Many people are afraid to get married because the divorce rate is so high - why bother when the odds are so bad? Divorce is economically bad for pretty much everyone but a few trophy ex-wives.  With term marriage, you could re-up or you could separate (peacefully or otherwise) at the end of your contract.  I suppose you could divorce, as well, but there would be less incentive when you know that your term will end if you wait it out.

I propose that we work it like vaccination.  The first time, one year.  Second time, one year.  Third time, if it seems like it's taking, three years.

There would be no stigma and no economic disaster as from divorce, because you plan the end right from the beginning.  It makes a lot of sense.  Instead of fighting and tears and pointed fingers, you dress up and have a going away party.  "It's been great!  Call me!"

The problem, of course, is that people don't get married because they're sensible.  In some societies, people get married because their parents are sensible, and I hear that works out pretty well.  But when you choose your own partner, you're not usually thinking with your brain.

Still, I think term marriage would work really well for our society.  Shoot, term dating could too.   Not that I remember much about dating, at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment