Saturday, October 15, 2011

My husband rocks like a Lazyboy recliner

Last night JD and I headed out to a party at DeLee's.  I haven't been to a DeLee party in a really long time.  Years, I think.  She was throwing it with her housemates, and it was fairly spectacular.  There was a live band (the Boozehounds) and a ton of great food.  The house is really well set up for parties, with an enormous deck.  When I say enormous, I mean it was larger than the house I lived in from 1997-1999.

Before we went I was utterly exhausted, so I crawled in to bed for some shuteye.  And that didn't work so JD and I stopped for dinner, where I had real coke.  Caffeine and sugar pretty much rock when it comes to reviving zombies.  By the end of dinner I felt mostly human.  Also mostly full, which was a bummer.  It meant I couldn't eat the yummy food at the party.  I did eventually make room for a something or other rangoon, and a tiny "pig in a blanket".  I was sad that I couldn't sample the rest.

The Boozehounds were fun.  I hadn't heard live music in quite a long time.  Sitting on the lawn with JD's arm around me, it felt romantic and date-like.  It was very happy-making.

In the morning JD went off to run a half marathon.  He had eaten a metric ton of food the evening before, so he was well fueled.  The half marathon, at 13.1 miles, was about 3 miles longer than he had ever run before.  But between the mass quantities he had consumed, and the extra rest he got earlier in the week (his training schedule had him doing only two short runs) he felt pretty good.  He was actually able to move out on the last mile and a bit when he realized he was almost done and he still had good energy. He passed people.  At the end of the race he kicked it up a notch and passed people.

I am so proud of him.  For somebody who hates running, he sure has gotten good at it.  This was his first race ever.  A half marathon!  No measly 5k races for my beloved, he jumped right in to the longer distance.  This, after only starting to run a little over a year ago.

He got a crabby medal for finishing.  I felt a crab was especially appropriate given how cranky running occasionally makes him.  Also note that the medal says "scratch 13.1 miles off the bucket list" around the edge.
I had thought about maybe going hiking today, but it was both brilliantly sunny and windy with strong gusts.  The sun is not my friend yet, and I can't use my umbrella in strong wind.  So while JD was off being athletic, I did this:

Also?  I had coffee.  And a book.
But at least I ate well:

Oh yogurt and strawberries, how I love thee.
I had a chance to go through the pictures my parents had sent me from their trip to Alaska earlier this year.  There is a lot of impressive scenery and interesting pictures of wildlife, towns, and mining stuff.  But what grabbed me the most was some really nice photos of my folks.  I'm thinking of getting glossy photo paper so I can print some out and frame them.

Aw, Dad.

Love the wind-blown look.  I hope this is me in a few decades.

They clean up nice, too.

In the evening, I interrupted JD's snacking to say that I wanted to eat dinner.  He was grabbing some chips at half time during a college football game.  He decided that he could watch the replay afterward (sadly, it turned out later that he was wrong about that assumption), and we went off to investigate Yanny's in Camp Springs.  Yanny's took over the spot that Regina Pizzeria inhabited for lo those many years.  Regina's held a special place in my heart.  Yanny's has a lot to live up to.


Yanny's is sort of an Italian/Greek/Korean place.  They had a pretty impressive seafood buffet set up.  JD opted for that, which included a variety of appetizers, salad, and pizza.  I'm pretty sure he ate an entire pizza, plus an assortment of other items.

I coveted the dessert.  JD didn't get any so I couldn't try it.  But it looked delicious.
I was not yet ready to eat pizza on the grave of Regina's.  I ordered a Korean BBQ Box.  Which is a bento box, but with Korean food in it.

The bulgogi was spectacular
I asked if they had any porter beers.  First answer was no, but when they went back and checked the fridge:

Evo Lucky 7 porter:  new to me, and good
So, all things considered, today has been a pretty excellent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment