Tuesday, October 4, 2011

And it burns burns burns, the ring of fire

This is the last thing I saw before leaving for work this morning:

I have no legs, you guys!  I have no legs!

I can't believe you'd rather go to work than stay home with me.
You can imagine how hard it was to leave.

There was a fire drill at work today.  I missed it.  Or most of it, anyway.  Since I arranged with the boss and the manager to come in late until I'm over Lyme this time, I arrived at the office building after the alarm started going off.  It took me a while to find a parking spot, because security had for some reason blocked off two or three possible entrances to the parking area.  By the time I parked and got out, the alarm had been going off for five minutes or so and the building had been vacated.  I opted not to go in, find my yellow vest and helmet, and check on all "my" offices.  Screw it.  You want me to be a fire warden, you hold the fire drills when I'm actually there.

This equipment leads me to believe that they expect me to work, or be helpful or something.  Hmmm.

So I felt kind of guilty and kind of grumpy about that.  Also, after standing there in the parking lot with everybody else for several minutes, I realized that I was sunburning.  Frack!  I moved over into some shade, but my left ear and the left side of my neck were already red.  Stupid sun.

Probably everybody else was happy they held the fire drill on the first day in a while where it wasn't raining.

I spent my day laboriously creating accounts on various computers.  It's not so easy to do these days, especially without console access.  First you have to disable the password policy settings that make accounts lock as soon as you create them.  Then you create the account (probably 8 lines of commands), then you create a home directory, then you login as that user.  Then you reset the password policy.  Lots of typing.  Fun times!  While I was there I checked to make sure the other password policies were correct (in many cases:  no) and added some hosts to the allowed list.

I was actually happy to go to a doctor's office as an alternative to doing that all afternoon.  Having a relative stranger peer at my crotch, grope my chest, and discuss my sex life with me is preferable to the work I was doing.  Which should give you some idea of how much I enjoy the particular work I was doing in the office today.

This evening I alternated between reading log files (fascinating.  not.) and cooking chili.  JD or I (I've lost track) have had a hankering for my chili.  Our chilis do not resemble each other, so it's a very specific craving.  My officemate brought in a bunch of habaneros for me, and I used them in the chili.  Verdict:  excellent!  Even JD agreed that my chili was almost as good as his, which from him is high praise.  Generally  he won't even agree to call mine chili.  He feels that it is a stew, almost but not entirely unlike chili.  Tonight's however, was chili, and darn good chili.  I'm letting it cook down more until bedtime, as I like it to be closer to sludge than to soup.   I anticipate chili that will blow the top of your head off after it's had a chance to sit in the fridge for a day or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment