Monday, January 17, 2011

Today of all days my horse has to feed off my mood?

Today is one of those days when I should have stayed in bed.

Yesterday I got to sleep in, hike with Delee, and have dinner out with JD.  It did not suck.  It was cold, but it didn't suck.

Today, the dog woke me up earlier than I wanted to be up on a day off.  I noticed that it was still dark outside, although the sun was technically up.  Also I noticed that I was in a shitty mood.  These things come and go.  I have no control over them.  I don't mind at all when I wake up in a gloriously good mood, but the shitty mood days I'd just as soon give a pass to.

I met Tara out at the farm to ride in the cold.  Which actually wasn't bad, given my improved clothing situation.  Pluto looked smashing in his new lilac exercise blanket.  And it was very warm and comfy on my legs.

However, I was very impatient today, and Pluto totally reacted to it.  He resisted everything I wanted to do.  It took probably ten minutes to get him to cross a 100 foot stretch of ground that he claimed was scary.  THE WOODS ARE ALIVE.  With a squirrel, as far as I could tell.  I finally got him past that and up to the arena.

He was fine for the riding, for the most part.  Even though he was wearing a new blanket, and he'd never been ridden in one before.  I determined that I could do walk and sitting trot with the blanket, but posting trot was right out.  We spent a while trotting, trying to get him to use himself properly and not make tiny little circles.  We even cantered.  And it was okay.  Not the smooth buttery canter I remembered, more like riding a basketball.  But okay.  My jacket was a bit warm and a bit long for trotting, which was disappointing.  I'll have to wear something else for vigorous riding in the future.

Toward the end, as we were trying to get unexcited after the cantering (MOAR CANTERING says Pluto) there was a horrendous, end of the world type noise.  The noise was the side effect of a man dragging a trash can across his driveway.  It was on the other side of railroad tracks from us, past two rows of trees.  You could hear it but not see it.  Pluto and Timber were both extremely concerned.  I called it a day and hopped down.  And then the boys gotten even more nervous.

I have no clue what was going on in the horsey brains today.  Timber ran circles around Tara.  Pluto yanked the reins out of my hands and ran away.  TWICE.  The second time he kept going all the way back to the other side of the farm.  I trudged in his footsteps, hoping not to find any ruined tack along the way.  By some miracle he managed not to step on his reins.

I untacked and threw the horse back out in the field as quickly as humanly possible and got the hell off the farm.  But first.. Pluto's cat tried to stop me.  He saw me driving his way and stepped directly in front of my car, and then sat down.  I got out and moved him to the side of the road.  As I got back in the car he strode back out into the road and sat down in front of my right tire.  I'm sure he wasn't suicidal.  But he kind of acted that way.

I ended up backing up real fast and then veering off to the side to go around the damn cat.

Back at home I was hungry enough to eat real estate.  JD offered me the last of my Aunt Sheryl's caramels.  Although I was trying to avoid my molars, I nevertheless removed a crown within thirty seconds of putting the candy in my mouth.

And that is how my day is going.  How about yours?

1 comment:

  1. Not quite as icky, but I've definitely had better.

    ReplyDelete