Monday, January 31, 2011

In which I get no credit for crunchy steps

It wasn't really cold today, but for some reason I felt it bone deep.  I think I needed more layers.  I got too cocky with my cold weather skills.  I didn't wear a liner shirt or long johns.  And I was cold all dang day.  I have my long fleece robe on over my clothes right now, and I'm drinking a mug of peppermint tea.  I think I'm starting to warm up.

Today I started the 10k step challenge.  I thought it would be no problem, but I didn't register 10k steps.  I'm closer to 7k.  I *should* have done 7k steps just on my daily walk today.  I suspect walking on the snow gave me not enough impact to really register the steps.  Which is a bummer.  And walking on crusty snow is harder than walking on soft snow!  I worked harder and will get less credit for it.  Ah, well.  In the end the important thing is the exercise, not the contest.

I asked my boss and my manager today if I could have a week off to hike into Trail Days and they were both fine with it.  I immediately lost all focus on work and went into planning mode.  How many miles should I plan for?  Any resupply opportunities?  If I drove myself down, where would I leave the car?  If JD drove me, where would I stay during Trail Days?  Where are my maps for that section?  So many questions.

Then I did the math and realized I would have just about three weeks of leave to spend on a hike later on this year.  Of course, that precludes sick time and a vacation with JD, so I may have to do some negotiating.  Or take leave without pay.  (Of course, leave without pay is dependent on the company okay.  )

That longer hike will be much more challenging in every way.  I plan to go southbound from Katahdin to Monson or Stratton.  It's much tougher terrain for an out of shape hiker.  Still, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's taking it slow and easy.  As long as I pace myself it should be all right.  Weather and health permitting, I hope to be quite active prior to the hike so I will be maybe less hammered by it than I would be otherwise.

We are supposed to have a wee ice storm tonight.  I hope it doesn't amount to much.  If I telecommute, there will be nothing preventing me from getting out my maps and guidebooks.  I don't know if I have that much willpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment