Friday, January 14, 2011

Rejoice! For it is Friday.

Woof.  This week seemed longer to me than usual.  I guess I'm officially a wage slave again, because I'm *really* looking forward to my weekends.  This being the MLK weekend (RIP), I have three whole days of relaxation and fun.  One of those days I'll be a bachelorette, because JD found somewhere he needed to drive his new car.  I like the occasional single girl day.  I can slouch around and fart and scratch myself.  JD might say I do that anyway but he lies.

I hope to buy a new winter coat this weekend.  Does the Burlington Coat Factory still exist?  That's where I got the last one, fifteen years ago.  (Not counting my specialty backpacking wear.)  It has been a very good coat, but it is done.  Of the three fastening systems (snaps, zipper, and velcro) two are kaput.  The ends of the sleeves have worn through.  The wrist velcro hasn't worked in a decade.  And it's covered in oil and molasses stains from years of farm work.  But really only the zipper failure has me bummed out.  I can handle ugly and worn.  Ugly, worn, and drafty is one attribute too many.

Fifteen years for a coat is pretty darn good.  Especially for one that's been worn while I fed the horses.  There aren't that many other items in my life that have survived that long in daily use.  Some hats, maybe.  I try not to abrade my hats.  Or my head.  But apparently anything's fair when it comes to the torso.

I'm a little concerned that I won't be able to find anything comparable to replace the old coat.  Styles change so much.  Not that the old coat had "style".  It had seven pockets, is what it had. [1] It made me look like the Michelin Man.  It was super warm and could survive my lifestyle.  And it covered my butt.  A new coat is going to have a hard time living up to that.

Between shopping, riding (I hope), hiking, and napping, my weekend is looking pretty full.  I hope I can fit it all in.

I guess today is officially the end of my second week of dieting.  I've lost eight pounds.  I don't expect to keep up that average.  To be honest I'm not sure what happened.  I should have lost two pounds total, if that, based on calories in.  I have been going for walks in the cold, but it's not like I live in Antarctica.  It's not *that* cold out.  I'm not complaining but I am a little confused.  (And hopeful.  )

Many of my hiking friends are going to the Southern Ruck this weekend.  Have fun yall!  Us northerners will get our turn soon.

[1] I had one pocket just for equine eye medication!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like what you want is a USGI field jacket with liner if you're going to use it for feeding at the farm and stuff. But you should really have a coat for doing dirty work and a coat for being in public otherwise.

    ReplyDelete