Friday, January 21, 2011

Dear Papi Chulo's: Now that I've found you, please don't die

I just found Olli playing with a cinnamon flavor Jelly Belly[1] in the dining room.  Lord only knows where he found it.  So if you want to know my ancient blue oriental rug is not only threadbare, but also sticky and pink?  Olli.

Today being Friday, we [2] gathered for lunch.  It's a thing we do, this eating together and talking.  You should try it.  It's nice.

Anyway, we tried a new restaurant.  Possibly *very* new.  It's near me and I've never noticed it before.  It's called "Papi Chulo's" [3] and it's a Mexican/Salvadoran/Honduran place.  It sounded good to me.  When I got there, there was NOBODY.  Well, there was one woman sitting at the bar, but I think she was just a friend of the cook and/or owner.  It's a fairly roomy place, all things considered, so it was a little awkward.  Nobody else came in while we were eating, either.  I don't think the ~$70 they grossed off our table is going to keep them in business.  I hope they have good happy hour traffic..

So I had a lunch special, which involved a pupusa [4], a tamale [5], and a fried plantain.  And it was so good.  I wanted to marry my pupusa, which was awkward with my husband sitting right there.  Also, the pupusa didn't last long enough to say vows.

There were many, many things on the menu which I wanted to try, so I hope they stay open for a while.  Honduran tacos, for instance.  Something like 9 varieties of soup.  Yummy looking seafood dishes.  I don't know, it was kind of a long menu.  But I know I want more.

Should you be in the Lanham/Glenndale area and happen to like Mexican, Honduran, or Salvadoran food, I suggest stopping in.  The more people that go there, the better chance I have of having their yummy pupusas again.

The restaurant is near the intersection of 193 and 564 (also known as Greenbelt Rd and Lanham Severn Rd.) It's in the small shopping center on a hill over looking Lanham Severn, adjacent to the Pirate's Car Wash.  Same shopping center as Lambert's.

No, no, don't thank me.  Just go get yourself a pupusa.

[1] What, you don't have all the colors of Jelly Bellies memorized?

[2] The usual suspects, plus JD and one of my coworkers, and the coworker part was quite a surprise.

[3] Which sounds like something bad, but is not.  It means "cute boy", essentially.  I invite you to google for yourself, or just check the Urban Dictionary.  Now, chulo all by itself translates more to pimp or douchebag.  But papi chulo is not a bad thing.

[4] Sort of a fried pancake thing with (in this case) a shredded chicken filling.

[5] I don't even know.  Corn flour mush with stuff in it, cooked in a plantain leaf.  I think.

3 comments:

  1. Another place with Pupusas is Irene's Restaurant, in Laurel, over by MD-198 and US-1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Irene's and I liked my pupusa at Papi Chulo's better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then I shall try it. Hmm, sounds like it's near where La Hacienda used to be. Is there a law of conservation of Latin American restaurants?

    ReplyDelete