Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tired cabbage

Today was kind of wacky.  I woke up way before JD.  (It was his turn to sleep for 12 hours.)  He made an ENORMOUS breakfast including bacon, eggs, sausage, biscuits, and tomatoes.  And then I felt guilty for said enormous breakfast.  Because I'm on a diet.  Not that you could tell this morning.

He left to "run errands" which translates to "drive around in the new car."  I got going on Mount Laundry.  In theory I was going to put on my warmest riding clothing and go out to ride Pluto.  But I just couldn't face it.  It's so cold!  It's not Minnesota cold, but it's cold enough that I don't want to be out in it for hours.  After our hike yesterday I stayed cold until an hour after bedtime.  I didn't have the guts to do that again today.

But at least I have clean clothes now.

Then I went through the tea and threw out everything that expired before 2010, barring things that JD couldn't stand to let go. And I organized the container cabinet.  The containers have a lot of entropy.  They get disorganized faster than I would think possible.  I tossed anything that didn't have a mate.  No lid?  It's the trash bin for you, buster.

Then I sorted my thruhiking stuff.  It's no longer taking up an entire corner of the guest room.  Mostly it's in two large bins that JD picked up for me.  Of course, I won't be able to find anything when I go looking for it, but I couldn't do that before.  At least now it's mostly in two large bins.  That's easier than fourteen cardboard boxes.

After all that I was ravenous, and realized I probably should have eaten a real lunch, guilt or no guilt.  I found a recipe that looked great this morning.  It involved beans and potatoes and leeks and cabbage and onions.  And garlic and thyme.  But when we actually made the soup, it tasted like.. cabbage.  Not delicious cabbage like Gesa used to make.  It tasted like tired, sad cabbage.  It's like the rest of the ingredients weren't even in there.

So I was really productive, but at the same time felt guilty, lazy, and that I was a bad cook.  On the Sunday scale that puts me at about 51%.  Better than average.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment