Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Feeling a little low-power

I awoke before dawn to a bizarre clicking sound.  It happened several times.  Finally I realized it was my bed.  We have one of those sleep number beds, and when the power flickers the little pump inside it goes nuts.  I foggily deduced the power had gone out, and looked over at my clock.  It was flashing "12:00" at me.  I lay there trying to figure out what to do.  "Think!" I told myself.  "There must be some way to figure out what time it is."

The clock didn't work.  I didn't have a watch or a phone upstairs.  In order to find out the time I'd have to get out of bed and go downstairs.  Obviously, the situation wasn't dire enough to convince me to get my precious self out of bed and go down into the frigid air of the downstairs.  What could be so urgent?  I figured I could sleep an hour longer, and I nodded off again.

When I awoke again, it was broad daylight.  Hmmm.. it's usually still a little dark when my alarm goes off.  I still had no idea what time it was.  I got dressed (warmly) and headed downstairs.  It was a little after 8.  Ah well.. could have been worse I guess.  I could have slept until noon.

So my day started a little late and disoriented.  Unlike most days, which just start disoriented.  It takes me a little while every day to remember what's going on in my life.  Important work due, chores imminent, bills to pay.  It's all concealed by my own morning fog.  It's peaceful.

Less peaceful was me choking on my own spit as I left the house to go to work.  I seriously thought I was going to die ignominiously on the front walk.  What a way to go.  I can just see the coroner.  "There isn't a mark on her, but she looks really embarrassed.  I think we have another spit-choker."

We all spent all day waiting for it to snow.  At one point I went out to my car (because I needed to drive somewhere) and found a co-worker industriously raising  her windshield wipers.  Several flakes had fallen out of the sky and she didn't want the windshield wipers to ice up.  It was just wishful thinking, though.  The snow stopped immediately.  I eventually gave up on waiting for it to snow and went for my daily walk.  No snow, but enough celestial spit rained down to leave drops on my glasses.

I tell you what, though, it was a long day.  Work wasn't bad or anything.  I was just hungry.  Stupid diet! Stupid thighs that are making me diet!  Hunger is very distracting.  Fortunately JD was hungry too so I texted him that I was leaving work and he had hot food ready when I got home.  Because I might have started eating the furniture if he hadn't.  Man.  Hungry.

Tonight we decided to watch two queued up episodes of Castle (in the living room, which is not near the kitchen, because see above about hungry.)  Halfway through the second episode the power went out again.  I decided it was a sign that I was done watching tv for the night.  The power came back on before I got the flashlight app working on my cellphone. 

So now I have a little squeeze light in my pocket, and a 9 volt battery waiting to go into my clock.  (Like the clock couldn't have let me know it needed a new battery?  Sheesh.)  I wouldn't mind a little more oversleeping, but the bed clicking could drive me nuts.  Not that my 9 volt will help that.  Maybe my bed needs a UPS.

The snow is finally falling, as is the ice.  I can't decide if I'm hoping it will be really bad so we'll have some time off, or hoping it amounts to nothing so I don't have to shovel.  Either way it means I'm a lazy person.  I'm so embarrassed. 

But not as embarrassed as if I died of spit.

No comments:

Post a Comment