Monday, February 28, 2011

In the forecast: more severe weather, plus the butterfly effect

We had one of those long rainy days today.  The kind of day that makes you want to curl up on a sofa with a dog and a book.  There were no dogs nor sofas at my office, and the books make dull reading.

I realized I couldn't remember the last time we'd had a day like this here.  We tend more toward summer afternoon thunderstorms.  The climate keeps changing, bit by bit.  Everybody is talking about how different the winters have been, how much windier it's been.  In my head I nod and say "Yup, that's the global warming thing" but out loud I usually don't say much because very few people know anything about it other than the words "global warming".  And you can't say those words without somebody pointing out how it's chilly today.

This drives me bugnuts so I leave it alone.  But for the record?  GLOBAL does not mean in your backyard or even in your state.  It's worldwide.  Worldwide water and air temperatures.  A rise of a few degrees doesn't seem like much but can have dramatic effects on weather, populations of plants, insects, and animals, and who knows what else.

So the next time you're saying how windy it is and it's weird for this time of year, and I don't say much?  Global warming, pal.

PS I'm not trying to make out like I'm an expert here, but could you just please read a LITTLE about it?  And stop saying "Global warming my ass" every time there's a cold day?

1 comment:

  1. I am heartbroken that there are already countries which have been swallowed by the rising ocean levels, and that other countries are on well the way there.

    Many people say that we could not possibly have an effect on the environment (which is clearly BS - there are plenty of examples of societies that have exterminated themselves through poor ecological planning.) What bothers me, though, is that we refuse to even try.

    Looking at this from the standpoint of our own security, does it not seem as if we are creating people who will loathe us (and also China) for our stubborn refusal to curtail our effects on the environment? Should more terrorists come of this, I will not be surprised.

    We are not an island, we are not invincible. Why can't we try to play nice with others?

    ReplyDelete