Friday, February 25, 2011

Things I cannot stop thinking about

So you may not know this about me, but I like to hike.  A lot.  I like to hike for months at a time.  Time during which I do not work, which may or may not have an effect on my enjoyment of said activity.

Anyway.

I'm pretty excited about the hikes I have planned this year, even though they don't involve taking off for six months.  First I'm going out for a weekend in March.  I'm getting together with Delee tomorrow to start planning that.

Then I'm going somewhere in April and I haven't even started thinking about that.  It'll work itself out.

In May, I'm hiking southbound into Trail Days and I am SUPER EXCITED.  I am starting to plan food for this hike, which has two hikes between it and me.  My other two hikes are poor orphan hikes that nobody cares about.  But a week off?  In May?  During which I get to see the Grayson Highlands AGAIN?  That is exciting.

Also at the end of that hike I will see many hikers who I know and love (Hello Cody!) and I am looking forward to that too, but apparently I am more looking forward to a week with trail food and no showers, because that is what keeps coming to the fore.  With luck it will be warmish.  I am more of a warmish weather hiker.

June and July, similar to April, will have overnight hikes.

And then.  August.  I get to take THREE WEEKS.  MAYBE FOUR.  But probably three.  Three weeks is a good long time to enjoy a hike.  Sadly, it will be a solo hike.  And I probably won't see a lot of people, because I will be behind the Sobo hikers, and ahead of most of the Nobo hikers.  I think it will probably just be me and the Maine wilderness.  And I'm cool with that.  Sometimes me and the wilderness need to have some quality time.

And then in September, October, and November I have a few more overnights planned.  Those are also orphan hikes, because at the moment I can't think past Maine.  I'll go somewhere, I'll walk.  It'll take care of itself.

Maine.  Man I love Maine.  Pretty, and all northern-like, with the fir trees and the moose.  And the black flies.  Don't like the black flies as much.  But Maine!  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment