Monday, February 21, 2011

I was going to work on my position

but Pluto had other plans.

I thought today was going to be the day.  He was calm, mellow, and seemed like he was ready for a quiet ride.  Until we actually got started riding, that is.

I have spent most of the last two years walking him.  Some trotting, and more trotting as time has gone on, but mostly walking.  It was for a variety of reasons, but the end result was no cantering under saddle for the stinker since our trainer left town.

So last time I rode I just kind of casually asked for a canter and  he said "!!!!" and he cantered and was pretty good.  And I said good boy and figured it was business as usual.  However he apparently lit up that one cantering neuron and it hasn't gone back off yet.

So he was not interested today in me noodling around, playing with changes to my posture and leg position.  Though he did agree to letting me do some two point.  But after that he said it was time for business.  And by business he meant cantering.

He lulled me in, a little.  I asked for trot, we trotted.  But he started aiming himself at things.  I'm trying to get a nice circle and he veers toward the cavaletti.  WTF?  Is what I said.  So I brought him to a walk, collected myself (and him), and asked for the trot again.  I got two strides of fairly normal trot and then suddenly we were cantering.  Not out of control, not running off, just.. cantering.  As if I had asked for it and he had acquiesced with a gentlemanly transition.  Except I hadn't.

I had two options.  Be firm, bring him down to the trot, pursue my own agenda.  Or go with it.  And I guess I am not a harsh taskmaster, because I went with it.  He was just so dang happy to be cantering.  It felt good.  Or at least, it felt good to me.  I felt like I was velcroed to the saddle, and my legs felt solid, and it basically felt like I was riding rather than being taken for a ride.  If you don't count the part where it was his idea, not mine.

The thing is, every so often his butt would come up.  And I'd wait for the rooting and the crowhopping to start, except it wouldn't.  Tara yelled "He's not bucking.  He's trying to change leads!"  And I brought Pluto to a halt and stared at her.  Why would he be trying to change leads?  We were on the correct lead. 

And then I looked down and notice the saddle was offset about an inch to the side.   I tried standing on the opposite stirrup to move it back into position, but that sucker was on *tight*.  I'm not sure when or how it happened, because I don't think it started that way.  I had checked my stirrups before I got on and sure enough they were level.  And by the time we got to the cantering half an hour later, my left stirrup definitely felt shorter.  So at some point the saddle shifted and I didn't notice.  And couldn't change it back.

I had gone on a pretty strenuous hike the day before, and with sore thighs and calves just couldn't face hopping down, adjusting the saddle, and climbing back up.  So we called it a day.  I was happy just to have gotten on the horse.  Tara was happy because Timber was using his bad side properly for the first time in a while.  Pluto and Timber were both happy because they knew I had a pocket full of treats.

All in all, despite my saddle issue and my horse's brain issue, I'd have to say it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment