Sunday, February 13, 2011

We have a mustard problem. Is there a twelve step program for that?

I'm tired, Internet.  I tried to sleep in this morning but I couldn't.  Apparently with or without an alarm I get up at the same time every day now.  In theory I could just turn off the alarm but I assume if I did that I would immediately start oversleeping on work days.

So I got up and tried another of my AlpineAir meals this morning.  Strawberry honey granola with milk.  This one was actually quite good, but I'm not convinced it's worth the expense and the weight of the packaging to carry it.  Maybe if I'm in a serious cereal mood on the trail.

I went and walked and jogged around the park today.  Gotta start getting in shape for Run Amuck.  Not to mention some backpacking trips.  Unfortunately I can't really train for both at once.  I don't think I can jog with a full backpack.  Too bouncy.

While I was there I finally went down the trail I always wonder about.  FYI (Tara) it does come out at the intersection of Kenilworth, Good Luck, and Paint Branch.  No more wondering required.  It had quite a few downed trees on it.  I'd say it doesn't see a lot of maintenance.  Not that the rest of the park is that much better.  I'm glad we took the horses out on it before this winter's blowdowns.  It isn't passable for horses now without extensive backtracking and bushwhacking. 

We performed a refrigerator winnowing yesterday.  We now have far fewer condiments.  Many of them were jars with years-old contents.  Gross.  Some of them were just things we tried, didn't like, and just stuck back in the fridge.  Also, I keep telling JD we have a mustard problem but I think he really viscerally got it after sitting on the floor looking at the shelf full of different mustards.  And that doesn't count the unopened ones in the pantry.  The thing about mustard is it's delicious in small quantities.  We don't go through it very fast.  But we keep seeing more that looks good and we buy it.  It's a problem.

This evening I'm watching Olli and Nazca.  Olli has figured out that you can play catch by yourself if you throw the mouse up in the air.  Nazca is more of a grappler.  The two of them are growling and rucking the carpets and generally making a mess.  They're hazardous to walk around.  I opened the fridge to put leftovers in and I nearly shut Olli in, as he had raced in during the three seconds the door was open.  Dory on the other hand is sitting quietly.  I think she's planning something.

1 comment:

  1. I had Charlie leap into the fridge from my shoulder once. It took me a minute to realize it!

    ReplyDelete