Saturday, February 12, 2011

Windy, freeze dried, and pupusas

We made it to Papi Chulo's in Lanham for dinner with the neighbors, who didn't realize the restaurant was there.  I got a different pupusa this time (still delicious) and one of the Saturday-Sunday-only dishes.  It was WAY too much food, but good.  We had a good time.  There were several patrons at the bar and one eating at a table, which was more than last time.  I asked and they've been open for three months.  I guess it takes time to build a clientele.  We got carryout menus so I can now send JD out for pupusas, should I get a (non-pregnancy related, don't get your hopes up Mom) craving.

Earlier I went out to see Pluto, who claimed he couldn't remember who I was and wanted nothing to do with me.  He was so resolute that his pasturemate Mystery actually got a cookie first.  When he realized I was giving away his treats, he changed his mind about whether or not I was a stranger.  He wasn't super cooperative, however.  And with the gusty winds he was on High Alert.  The only way I would have ridden him today was if  there had been some sort of national emergency in which no motorized vehicles were moving, and I desperately needed  to get somewhere.  Say, my husband was out of his theoretical insulin.  As there was no emergency and JD is not diabetic, I just patted the pony on the nose, groomed him, and gingerly led him back to his field.  Where he immediately rolled into the dirt until he reacquired a nice patina of grime.

I also tried out an AlpineAir freeze dried meal this morning.  I got 25 of the things in the hopes of using them on my section hikes this year, all of which have poor resupply options.  The one I tried this morning (Roast Beef Hash) didn't reconstitute well.  The potatoes remained al dente.  And the sodium level was ridiculous.  1000 mg per serving, 2 servings per package.  The one bite I tried left my mouth tingling with salt.  Definitely a no-go.  The granola breakfasts look more promising, though.  I may try one of those tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get out to Greenbelt Park to hike tomorrow.  In theory I could also go see Pluto and try to ride, but I'm guessing that after the hike I'll want a nap.  The winter slackitude is still upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment