Sunday, July 17, 2011

Stabbity

Today was supposed to involve baking brownies, riding a horse, and going to a party.  Instead, I finished (except for my Power Gels, which I still need to get) packing my maildrops for my trip.  And I rested.  And was cranky.

Fortunately for JD, he was off having autocross adventures, so he got to miss out on all the fun.  Although he turned out to have a flat tire, and ended up A) having to race on his street tires, and B) lugging all of his street tires and jack and whatnot a quarter of a mile, over several trips.  So I guess his day could have gone better.

Last night, for a lark, I packed my old Gossamer Gear pack with all my junk.  I'll probably carry it for a day or two at work to see how it feels.  Knowing that I'll save two pounds right off the bat makes me feel more friendly toward it.  It doesn't really do load transfer so well, but when your pack is under 25 lb?  Doesn't matter so much.  Carrying the pack at work for a few hours on my daily walks should tell me how I really feel about it.  Right now, loaded with 5 days of food, 2 liters of water, and ~16 oz of denatured alcohol, it's at 27.6 lb.  And I'm staring at it, wondering what else I can afford to take out.  Like, I've lived without a camp chair for most of my wanderings, do I really need one now?  My back may win that argument, as it really does like lumbar support when I sit.

Unrelated, my back has been a little stabbity recently.  Not "ow, that is kinda sore" like it's been for the last several months, but "OW, THAT FREAKING HURTS".  The pain has been much closer to my spine.  Based on my experience with carpal tunnel, where I had pain closer to my neck right before it got better again, I'm gonna say this is a good thing.  Fortunately, a solid night's sleep fixes me up.  And I keep relearning an important lesson, which is that I can't sit on the floor to do stuff.  One of these days, that lesson is going to stick.  So far, though, I keep forgetting.  All I think is "Look at all the room on the floor!  What a perfect place to sit and organize this ton of crap."  And then several hours later STABBITY.

I'm going to bed early tonight (no stabbity today, though) in the hopes that I'll wake up refreshed and un-cranky in the morning.  Probably I shouldn't have lugged my backpack around the park yesterday.  The part of me that is smart enough to back off and give myself time to heal injury or illness wants to bitch-slap the part of me that is too gung-ho and stupid to listen to that wise advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment