Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Maggot juice and Freon

Gracious, but it's nice to feel good.  It was a sweaty (in a non-romantic way) night, but I woke up feeling all healthy and happy.  Although my hale and joyous feelings were interrupted when I got maggot juice on me.  There is not enough purell in the world to make me feel clean after that.

I waited anxiously all day to get the call from the company coming to service our air conditioner.  They finally called mid afternoon, and I went home.  And waited.  Somehow, dispatch had gotten our address wrong.  I am confused, because the zipcode should have clued them in.  The poor guy drove all the way out to the other side of Clinton, to Dangerfield Road.  And then he discovered the mistake when there was no ailing air conditioner there, and finally got the right address and drove here.

He conferred with JD and what we thought might be the problem (bad capacitor) was in fact the problem. I was astounded at how much a new capacitor cost until JD showed me just how big it was. I am a computer nerd.  I'm used to fairly small capacitors.  Larger electric equipment, of course, needs larger capacitors.  Which cost more.

Anyway, the man fixed us up and I am very happy with the service. The company, FYI, was Cropp-Metcalfe.  They differ from our previous company, United Air Temp, in a couple of important ways.  1)  The man they sent out was the man who would be fixing the problem.  (UAT would send out somebody to assess the situation, THEN sent somebody who could maybe fix it.. not that they generally gave them the details on what was wrong.  I have had it take three visits to get a person who could actually fix a problem before.)  2)  They didn't treat JD or I as if we were mentally debilitated.  The guy actually asked JD if he knew what the problem was.  I *hate* it when service professionals ignore my input.  I may not understand if they get super technical, and that's fine.  But do not treat me as if I am too dumb to have any knowledge about my own house.

Technically, I guess I don't know if he would have ignored me if JD weren't here, but I got a pretty good feeling about the man.

So, address issues aside, I am quite happy with the new company.  And United Air Temp is not welcome to ever set foot in my house or on my property again.

That got a little ranty, didn't it?  Well, those crocksuckers deserve some ranting.

Tonight, I look forward to being a little chilly.  Despite two months of hiding from JD's fan at night, and burrowing under my blankets, after four days and nights of sweating, I do believe I will enjoy a few goosepimples.  Tomorrow I'll go back to complaining about how cold it is in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment