Sunday, July 10, 2011

In which I spend my day not relaxing

Woof.  Long, busy day.  But I got a ton accomplished.

I didn't fall asleep until 1 this morning, which is fairly common on nights when JD is away.  Then I zonked zombie-style until nearly 9, when the dog started insisting that she really did have to go out.  I grumbled but got up.

I washed and folded and stowed laundry.  I trimmed a new polycryo (i.e. lightweight) groundsheet.  I set up the tent and added some seam sealer to a couple of problem areas near the peak.  I added silicone caulk to my cook pot and ran a test.  No matter what, the handle is too hot to touch immediately after the flame burns out.  But, very quickly after that, I can touch the handle with the caulk on it, but not the bare pot.  So I guess that's good.  I still need my wool mitten to handle it when the flame is on.  (I think this is a downside to the alcohol stove design, at least when it comes to the miniscule size of pot I use.)

The ugliest cookpot caulking job your are ever likely to see.  Also, the prettiest.


I have my backpack mostly packed and a list of missing items to check off as I stash them.  I put more food in.  I may take it back out and figure out a maildrop, or plan on purchasing more food at White House Landing than I plan on right now.  But at the moment, if I haven't forgotten something really heavy, it's looking like my pack will be in the 32 pound area.  And that's doable.  Especially given the terrain the first few miles south of Katahdin.

I have boxes made up to go to Monson, Caratunk, and Stratton.  I don't really need the Stratton box, but I had purchased so much food that it didn't really make sense not to use it.  I've picked things up a few at a time, here and there, and I didn't realize just how much I had.  I still have a lot left over!  DeLee and I will have to go camping some more when I get home.  :)

Oh and I wormed Pluto and also determined that he doesn't care for watermelon.  At least not the first time.  I may try it again someday.  Sometimes he changes his mind on food items after a few tries.

No comments:

Post a Comment