Saturday, July 9, 2011

Got my butt out on the trail today

JD set his alarm for 6 this morning so he could go running.  I set my alarm for 6 so I could get up and see if it were rainy or not, so I could go hiking.  And it's a good thing I did, because JD *actually* set his alarm for 6 pm.  I was pretty surprised to see him still there when my alarm went off, because he's usually up before me these days.  I bet he was surprised too.

The weather looked fantastic, so I got dressed in my hiking gear and toddled downstairs.  I ate, without much thought, a minimal breakfast: not what you want when you're about to be super physical.  Duh.  And then DeLee showed  up and off we went.

First we drove to the Old Angler's Inn, but the parking lot had just filled up.  I had originally planned to go up to the Tavern but had changed my mind at the last minute, so I shrugged and continued to the Tavern after all.  Or tried to.  First, there were bikers all over NOT sharing the road, and also ignoring stop signs.  Then when we finally got to the road leading to the Tavern, there was a line of cars.  Just standing there.  After a while I leaned my head out the window and hollered to the next guy up.  He said there was a tree down across the road and somebody was cutting it up with a chainsaw.

Well.

I rolled down the windows, turned off the car, and DeLee and I passed  the time chatting.  It was quite pleasant, but I was well aware that with every passing minute it was getting hotter out.  I had hoped to be there and walking by 7:30.  Instead it was 8:30 by the time we got parked and out on the canal trail.

Ah, well.  You can't control everything and it's best not to try or you will be a frustrated person.  Or at least that's my experience.

The trail had been somewhat rerouted since my last time through.  They are trying to save their "precious rare natural resources" (according to the sign) by routing everybody onto the rocks immediately.  I have no idea what rare and precious thing is nesting on the slim strip of green between the canal and the river.  Whatever, it was a little aggravating.  I mean, I did go there specifically for the rocks, but I didn't need that many of them.

Anyway, we trundled along.  I was a little wobbly on the rocks at first, especially on the whale shaped ones.  I had a brief thought that maybe I was an idiot to be out there in trail runners, wearing my backpack.  But then my legs remembered how to handle rocks and it was fine.  Fun, even.  I didn't like getting bonked in the head by my backpack every time I leaned down (there was a lot of leaning down) but I did like the climbing.  I'm not sure when I started liking the climbing.  Also?  The trail runners were fine.  I wore two different insoles today, to see if one was preferable.  They're both okay so once again I'm up in the air.  (Green vs Berry Superfeet, in case you're wondering.)

Unfortunately my legs are still the same length they were the last time, which meant I still sat on the edge of rocks to get down a lot.  And I used other alternate methods of getting from here to there.  I was super pleased to be able to push myself up with my arms at one point.  Possibly all the time I spent at the gym earlier this year, doing pushups and whatnot, has had an effect.

Sitting on the edge of rocks is more wear and tear on the pants-seat.  I've had these pants for a while, and they're starting to get a little thin.  I've already restitched the butt seam twice, and I noticed this morning that the thread in the thigh seams has mostly disappeared.  All of which is a moot point, because one of the times I sat on a rock and slid, a little point caught my pants.  That little point of rock ripped a 1-2" slit in my pants.  Under which I was not wearing underwear (because it chafes.)  I admit the breeze was nice, but I was not thrilled to be mooning everybody.  And because we were on a super popular trail, there were plenty of people to moon.  Young people.  Old people.  Little Korean ladies.  Tons of kids.  Hi!  This is my butt.

So, for the next couple of hours I hiked on, climbing over big old rocks, butt cheek peeking out.  I am now certain that I don't wish to hike naked, as the one exposed chunk of cheek was NOT happy when I slid down further rock faces.  And when the rock got hot in the sun?  NOT GOOD.  My hands were also not happy.  I'm pretty sure the last time I was there I swore I would wear gloves the next time.  I really wish I had actually remembered that oath, because once again my palms got totally beat up, and they felt kind of burny on the hot rocks.

As usual, I was not the fastest creature on the trail.  For once DeLee took the lead, probably because she was quite certain I was not going to be coming up behind her with rapidity.  With my full pack and my 5" legs, I was slow.  SLOW.  Happy, though.  My back felt happier clambering over boulders than it did sitting in a chair yesterday, and my natural inclination to be out on a trail meant that despite my stubs and my peek-a-boo pants I was perfectly happy to be right where I was.  The gorge that the Potomac goes through right there is shockingly beautiful.  It is hard to believe that you are barely 10 miles outside of the city while you are climbing and sweating and watching hawks and generally being bombarded by all that is wonderful about nature.

Not quite soon enough (because our legs were tired) we were back at the canal and headed back to the car.  I fielded a few questions from people who wanted to know why I was carrying a backpack.  I explained that I was training, and the rocks were the closest thing to Maine mountain terrain I could find in the area.  They all nodded wisely.  Not sure if they'd ever been to Maine - Maine has a lot more UP to it than Maryland.  But, the rocks are rocks.

Back at the Tavern I hoped but didn't believe that the snack bar would be open.  The snack bar is NEVER open when I go places.  But, it was!  A hot dog, an icy cold purple Gatorade, and a Grape Crush later, I was content.  Still breezy in the buttocks area, and a little headachy from the heat, but content.

So, now I'm home, doing laundry, and wreaking havoc.  Trying to pack my food for the 100 mile wilderness, the Caratunk maildrop, and the Monson maildrop has pretty much destroyed any semblance of cleanliness or organization that my house might have displayed.  Not that we are that big on cleanliness and organization here, but yesterday you could actually see the dining room table and the kitchen countertops.

This weekend I still need to worm my horse, seam seal my tent, permethrin my clothes, package my vitamins, and finish packing my food.  Tomorrow could be busy.

2 comments:

  1. PJ visiting from Pie LandJuly 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM

    Reading your post has made me drag out all my thru-hiker accounts and re-read all the Maine sections. I'm remembering Katahdin Stream Falls and campground, Abol Bridge and that section of trail after you cross the bridge and turn left into the gorgeous Maine woods. Picture postcard pretty. Also the view of Katahdin from the bridge is lovely. I hope you have clear weather. Saw hikers at Abol Bridge store but not a one on the trail. But it was black fly bonanza time. Even the moose were being driven crazy. But I hear they have definitely let up.

    Will you be posting from the trail or after you get back? It's fun to listen to your preps. I'm glad your back is not making you cancel your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I have clear weather too! Maine is not known for it. I hope to post from the trail, if I have signal. I will post to my trail journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/ under the name Mrs Joy. Unfortunately I don't have a direct link to this year's blog there. I had http://www.trailjournals.com/mrsjoy last year. It still works, but it goes to last year's journal.

    If you click there you can then click on my "AT 2011" link, though. Also I think this will take you to the first entry for this year:

    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11693

    ReplyDelete