Saturday, July 23, 2011

Mitten free and proud

Oh wow, what a wonderful day.

First, I got to sleep in super late.  A migraine woke me up early, but I told it to eff off and I fell asleep for several more hours.  When I finally awoke for good, I took half an imitrex and today was one of the days when it didn't make me sick.  It just made my headache go away and that was it.

I sprayed two pair of socks with permethrin again, because I've lost track of which ones are treated.  Now I'm marking treated socks, somewhere on them, with permanent marker.  It won't tell me how recently they've been treated, but at least I'll know I treated them at some point!

Mid-afternoon, JD and I drove out to Bowie to see "Harry Potter, the final chapter".  Or whatever it's called.  Honestly I didn't think it was the best one, but it was pretty good entertainment.  I laughed, I cried (embarrassingly), I had a good time.  For the first time ever, the theater sound was not insanely loud, so I actually took out my earplugs and listened to the movie at the same volume as everybody else.  That right there was worth the price of admission.  Speaking of which, when the hell did a matinee start costing nine dollars?  Am I one of those people who can't believe that gas now costs more than twenty five cents a gallon?  Because I can't believe how expensive that was.  Also, my "small" (approximately a quart) coke was $4.75.  Of which I drank six ounces.  That's seventy nine cents per consumed ounce.  That is an expensive beverage.

Favorite moments:  Mom getting her revenge on against the crazy biyatch, Neville turning out to be the man, the Hermione-can't-act scene that reminded me very much of the Willow-can't-act scene from the Evil Willow days.  Though I am still confused about the resurrection stone, or at least how it was used in the movie.

While I was looking up movie times and whatnot, I came across a trailer for "Friends With Benefits".  Many of my online friends have extolled the virtues of this movie.  I was dubious.  I don't go see romantic comedies all that often, anymore.  Mostly I watch Harry Potter and Twilight.  Because I'm still fourteen, apparently.  But the trailer was actually really good, so I'm planning to do something that I don't think I've ever done before, which is see two movies in two days.

First I need to put in a couple of hours of hiking, after which probably nobody will want to sit next to me.  Which is fine with me actually.

Oh, so anyway, the rest of our excellent day/date:  We went on over to DuClaw for dinner.  We had a fun time and I pretty much bubbled over with love (but in a sanitary way) for JD, and also the food was good.  And the beer.  Then we came home and watched the latest episode of Warehouse 13.  And then JD went to bed because he is not the one who slept in until nearly lunchtime.

I've spent the last couple of hours checking my pack to make sure nothing is missing, washing a couple of things, and just generally getting ready to be in the woods for a month.  So exciting!  I texted Little Aspen.  She's working until one in the morning, so I'll wait until tomorrow (not too early) to call her.  However she did text me that both Peacetree and Toothpick are coming to hike Katahdin with us, and how exciting!  I haven't seen Peacetree since Nantahala Outdoor Center last spring!  Only a week until I see them all.  Little Aspen said she got Saturday off too so I'm guessing they're going to spend the night in Millinocket before going out to the park in the morning.  OK I'm getting too excited and I need to stop thinking about that so I can sleep.

Okay, calm, calm.  I'm breathing.  I'm not thinking about Maine.. Okay that's a lie I totally am.

I stashed silk long underwear top and bottom in my gear, and I think now I'm comfy with my clothing.  I should be warm enough. Oh and I experimented with my pot.  I cut down the wind screen so it fit under the handle, and then I heated water to see if having the handles outside the screen helped.  Answer?  No.  In fact it seemed to direct flame around the handle.  Ah well.  BUT.  I counted one one thousand, two one thousand, and so on.  At thirty one thousand I can comfortably touch the handles.  So I'm just going to add thirty seconds to my schedule, I think.  I'm leaving my mitten home.  I know, I know, I'm so brave.  Mitten free and proud.

2 comments:

  1. Every time you post about your departure date approaching I get all excited for you. I'm not even remotely the one going and I was glad to hear there will be 4 of you. That feels like a comfortable number without feeling like a group, or crowded.

    Will you tent or use those wretched shelters? At least they seem wretched to me.

    I will be able to imagine your trip only until you cross at Abol Bridge and reenter the woods. Then I can pick up the image as you cross the next road. After that it's all wilderness to me.

    I'm so happy I found your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably both tent and use shelters. Some shelters are nicer than others. :)

    I'll try to post pictures so that you can visualize what the trail is like south of Abol Bridge, although I might not get them to a blog until I get home. Are you on facebook? If you friend me there (I'm in Pie on the Face) you can see them more easily - I have an app that uploads them to facebook no prob.

    ReplyDelete