Thursday, July 14, 2011

The definition of insanity

Trying to calculate ahead of time where you will be on any given day on the trail is difficult. Maybe impossible. If you regularly go for, say, a two mile walk, you might be misled. You might think "I could totally do that ten times in a day! And it would only take me eight hours, tops!"

The problem is that although the first two miles is easy, as are the second and third, by about the fourth you've gone beyond the limits of what the body thinks of as easy, if it's accustomed to just those two miles. And these miles probably involve more hills. And more awkward steps. And a heavier backpack. And potty breaks. 

And probably the maps aren't incredibly representative of the actual terrain. Of the difficulty of traversing that terrain. 

So I'm looking at maps, trying to plan my trip to Maine, and I ALREADY KNOW its a pointless exercise. I wouldn't bother at all, except I need to plan maildrops. And I kind of need to know when I'll be there to pick up each box. 

About all I can do is plan for shorter days than I think I can do, and hope for the best. Worst case scenario, I have to give extra food away to some hungry northbounder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment