Monday, July 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure my day went better than his

I spent my day completely failing to solve a problem.  This is not something I am used to.  I am used to looking at a problem, thinking about it, maybe googling, and voila!  Problem solved.  Not today.  Today I have been made to feel dumb by a computer.

I'll get my revenge, though.  I'm planning to do a fresh install on it tomorrow.  Hah!  Take that, stupid computer!

Before it got too hot out, I took a break and took my daily walk at work, wearing my backpack.  One of the guards stopped me to ask me if I were training for a trip.  He was pretty excited to hear I was going to Maine.  :)  You just never know where you are going to run into a hiking enthusiast.

That one trip around work decided me that I really do want to carry my heavier pack this year.  Two miles on flat ground was less comfortable with my light pack than six miles on (small) hills was with my heavy pack.  The experiment had to be made, but now it is over and the light pack is going back upstairs.  I'm not sure why I'm keeping it.  Maybe I'll part with it later on.

I woke up feeling all kinds of sick and grody, just like yesterday.  I chugged my (appropriately sized serving) of DayQuil and went in to work.  After a walk with my backpack, and a two-slice lunch, I felt much better.  Do you think it was the walk, or the pizza?

I have been super hungry the last two days.  My theory is that my immune system needs extra energy to fight off this bug.  It gives me the excuse to eat the second slice so I'm going with it.

Late this afternoon I was hungry (again) and realized I hadn't packed an afternoon snack.  So, I dug out some quarters and headed in the direction of the vending machine.  My building is really long, with hallways running the length of the building.  From my office, all the way at the end, I can't clearly see what's going on at the other end.  As I walked down, I saw a bunch of people standing around (typical) and equipment blocking the hallway (annoying.)  I grumbled to myself about how people feel like they can just block the way for everybody.  Fortunately, I didn't say anything to anyone else.  As I got closer and I could see more, I realized it wasn't an experiment.  It was a stretcher.  And there were EMTs milling about.  Apparently somebody collapsed.

I took the opportunity to sneak by when they wheeled the stretcher into the room to put him up on it.  On my way back I glanced behind me and saw that it appeared to be a male.  Not in a body bag.  So I guess he was alive.  All his labmates looked pretty darned glum though.  As I would be, if Marc or Joe had to be hauled out on a stretcher.  The little I heard was that he was just sitting at his bench, seemed to have trouble breathing, and fell over.  Damn, things just happen don't they?  Life seems interminable when you are dealing with a stubborn problem, but it sure seems short when you realize you could stroke out in a couple of minutes..

No comments:

Post a Comment