Wednesday, June 1, 2011

No yoga = bad

I headed out to my chiropractor's office this morning.  She was concerned that I wasn't healing very quickly.  She mentioned sending me out for xrays.  :(  Do not want!  I told her it felt like something was pulling me out of position after I got adjusted, and she started poking around at the not-hurty side.  Turns out, my left quadricep is really tight.  It probably wouldn't BE tight if I had been going to yoga, but I wasn't going because I was hurt and wanted to let the ligaments heal.

So, now I have a quadricep stretch to do.  And yoga starts back up next week.  We're between sessions right now.

It is becoming more and more obvious that I really can't live without yoga. Whether I want to or not.

I had a thought this morning and looked up sign language.  DeLee and I talked about it while hiking a couple of weeks ago.  She thought sign language was a direct translation of spoken language, and I thought it had its own grammar.  But neither of us really had current knowledge so we kind of left it hanging there, undefinitively addressed.  According to Wikipedia, (Wikipedia knows all ), there are a BUNCH of sign languages, and generally no direct correspondence to the local language.  There is a geographic correspondence - people in one area tend to all use the same dialect.  But the grammar isn't necessarily similar to the grammar of the local language.  Although, there are such things as Signed English, and that is a reasonably close representation.  I think.

Interesting stuff, to me anyway. The article also addresses areas in which everybody knows and uses sign, because the deaf population is large.  Martha's Vineyard, for instance.  And situations in which you have to know at least some rudimentary sign language, such as in the military for combat situations, in baseball, or when there are taboos against speech.  The article mentioned Australian Aboriginal  sign language which is used during times when speech is taboo, but I wondered also about folks who had taken vows of silence for religious reasons.  Does the silence extend to all communication, or just oral communication?

These are the sorts of things I ponder.

I have been listening to an audiobook recently.  It's apocalyptic fiction.  I'm glad I'm listening to it now, not while I'm on the trail fifty miles from anywhere.  In the book, the main character is starting to miss some of the advantages of civilization, primarily electricity for food preservation.  And that's important, but I think what I would (and do, while I'm hiking) miss most is the vast repository of knowledge readily available to me online.  That, and the easy communication afforded by the internet, cell, and phone networks.  I could probably grow and store food, but if we lost the networks I would probably never hear from most of my family again.  Or most of my far-flung friends.

Hey, friends.  Love you!  I'll miss you if the world ends!  Just wanted you to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment