Wednesday, June 15, 2011

At least I can still walk

Oh, internet.  I am so unhappy today.

I went to the chiropractor's office this morning.  I had the x rays, she had the written report.  The written report is not good.  I have "advanced lumbosacral junction degenerative change".  Two years ago I had a abdominal scan done for other reasons, but they mentioned my spine anyway.  At the time I had "mild degenerative disk disease".  I went from mild to advanced in two years.  

The joint in question is so filled in with bone that when I looked at it, I thought it was part of the sacrum.  I didn't recognize the vertebra as a separate entity.  Not that I'm the expert on x rays.

Doc says no running, which makes me sad because I really liked running.  But she also says no riding and that is beyond sad.  I have been riding for 38 years.  Sometimes I rode for a living.  I rode 8 hours a day, and fed and doctored horses in between.  I loved dressage, and bought myself a Lipizzan cross so that I could practice my dressage on the very best dressage horse out there.  And my dressage horse had finally grown up and started being mature about things.  And it was good.

Except for the part where it started hurting.  Had I realized that my back was in the middle of self destructing, I would not have upped the riding and running regimen.  But I had no idea.

I'm not even supposed to get a massage right now, because "that knot might be what's holding you together."  When all you have going for you is a back spasm, you don't have very much going for you.

The doctor would not commit one way or the other on backpacking.  She wanted to see the results of an MRI first.  But I can say for sure that I feel my best when standing and walking, so I have some hope there.  And, I'm planning on going backpacking as planned this weekend.  Just a short hike, on decent terrain.  And I'll be ultralight because JD is bringing a tent for both of us.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment