Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Happiness comes down to two things. Chocolate and beer.

Over at Bye Bye Pie, June asked us today what our regrets would be as we lay dying.  A fairly gloomy topic, although we soon cheered up.

At first I didn't think I would regret much.  I do a pretty decent job of keeping myself happy, and I'm kind of living the dream with the job and the husband and the horse and the hiking.  Not everybody's dream of course, but it works for me.

But then I mulled more and realized that I spend so much time trying to diet and exercise my way into fitness, I would probably regret eating so little chocolate and drinking so little beer.

So, tonight I had a piece of chocolate and a beer.  No regrets!

Also, I spent approximately thirty hours this evening filling out an online mortgage application at my credit union.  I happened to look at mortgage rates and noticed they have gotten even more insanely low than their previously insanely low state.  So we are trading in our two year old, barely even used 20 year mortgage on a shiny new 10 year mortgage.  I think there's a reasonable chance we could have that 10 year mortgage paid off in 8 or 9 years, which would mean that we could own the house free and clear before I'm 50.  Which would kind of rock.  In a very staid, middle class way of rocking I guess.  It's not like Megadeth is out there writing songs about paying off the mortgage.  (Are they?  I'm just assuming here.)  (I just looked them up.  They're still around.  And the one guy who's been with them the whole time?  He's 49.  Maybe he's thinking about mortgages after all.  Or his prostate.  Not that I have any insight into prostate thoughts.)

Anyway if all goes well we'll funnel several thousand more dollars to the credit union next month, for the privilege of having a higher monthly payment.  But for a shorter amount of time!  And for less overall interest.  I'm kind of scared to do the math to see if my various refinance charges have overwhelmed the interest savings or not.  I'm just going to be happy with getting out of debt and leave it at that.

See?  I rock at the being happy thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment