Thursday, June 2, 2011

Food and Death. Well, Food and Car Accident Really.

My coworker just emailed me to say that his plans for tomorrow have changed, as he has been in a car accident and his car is totalled.

OMG.

That could have gone so much worse, so easily.  I could right now be making plans to attend a funeral.  I do not give a ripe shit if he's at work tomorrow, I'm just happy he's alive.

As are his family and friends, I'm sure.  Holy shit.

Life seems all dull and permanent and then sometimes something happens and you wake up and realize that it could all change in an instant.

Whew.  But it didn't.  Except now he has no car, unless you count the crumpled wreckage.

Anyway.  Coworker alive.  Me happy.

Also happy about the best thing ever in the universe, which is ripe strawberries.  I picked up some from the farmer's market today, and they are at the "eat them today or forever hold your peace" stage.  They will be slimy piles of rot tomorrow, but at the moment they are little gustatory orgasms in adorable little red packages.

Mother Strawberry tries futilely to protect the little one.  Rawr!

I picked up asparagus, and tomatoes, fresh rustic bread, and several other items.  We steamed up most of the veggies, put cheese on the bread, and had a delicious summer feast.  I LOVE summer eating.  Although come to think of it we forgot to eat the tomatoes.  Perhaps for breakfast.

How is it that something as wonderful as strawberries are both nutritious and not highly caloric?  It seems wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment