Monday, June 20, 2011

I am full on freaking out

My start date for climbing Katahdin is in 41 days.  Of the five weekends between then and now, ONE doesn't have stuff already scheduled.  I may or may not have a back that can hold up to the stress of long distance hiking.  I still am apprehensive about the terrain, described as some of the toughest on the Appalachian Trail.  And I still have not made final decisions on just how much stuff I can leave home.

Some folks have said that I need basically raingear, a warm sweater, and a 50 degree bag.  And some folks say that I need long underwear, gloves, hat,  a good insulating layer, definitely rainpants (I usually wear a rainskirt), and a 30 degree bag.

I'm not sure which water treatment system I'm using (steripen or modified Platypus gravity filter).  I'm thinking about trying to modify my stove handles so they don't get so hot.  I can't figure out if my trail runners are sturdy enough to stand up to all the rocks and roots of Maine.  They definitely wouldn't do for Pennsylvania, but they would have been fine for New York.

Heck, the Barefoot Sisters did Maine barefoot.  Surely I can do it in trail runners?

I generally carry too much food, so I am also trying to review my food to lighten my load.  And I need to pack maildrops - minimal for Monson (but including things like my phone charger, which I won't need in the Hundred Mile Wilderness), complete for Caratunk.

And maybe I would like to switch out my aging AT&T Iphone for a Verizon Iphone before I go.

I'm just, generally, floundering over here.

On the other hand, if I had not just had an enlightening x ray and doomsaying doctors, I would assume my back would be fine.  It had no problems with my 1000+ mile hike last year.  And I tend to feel that if my footwear is comfortable and secure, I can do pretty much anything in it.  And I seriously doubt that Maine in August is going to be cold like Georgia in March.

It would be really nice if I had somebody else here who had done an August section hike in Maine who could give me definite answers.  Even though there may not be definite answers.

3 comments:

  1. When we were in Millinocket our host told us that Verizon has the best service in that area. I know people have called from the top of Katahdin but I don't know for sure what service they had.

    I bet the people at the AT Lodge could answer that question for you. We just went up as far as Katahdin Stream Falls--barely a start but all that I can do anymore. We parked at Katahdin Stream Campground.

    The trail going south from Abol Bridge is picture pretty. There are sandwiches and basic treats at the store at Abol Bridge. We picked up subs there for a couple of lunches. Not real hearty, but tasty.
    It is my understanding that because you are above tree line the wind can be fierce and the rain cold. Better safe than sorry. A lot of it is going to be the luck of the draw as far as what weather Mother Nature deals you. I would definitely be prepared for cold rain and wind. Maybe not as bad as GA in March, but plenty chilling the possibility of fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://web.ncf.ca/fd978/baxter/index.html

    Just found the above site with good pics and good links. You probably already know about it, but just in case you don't...It is titled My Trip to Mt. Katahdin, Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good link, PJ. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete