Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This is so not going to be interesting to anybody but my Mom

I FINALLY got my MRI report today.  After two days of failed attempts to fax, I asked if I could just get photocopies.  And they told me to drive right over.

So, without further ado, here is the state of my spine.  It looks totally good and normal except for five exceptions:

C5-6 has "subtle-to-mild, broad based central disk protrusion, without compromise of the cord or the exiting nerve roots."  There is a small perineural cyst within the left neural exit foramina at C7-T1, which is neither here nor there.

T8-9 has a midl focal central disk protrusion leading to a subtle flattening of the cord.  The nerve roots are fine there too.

L3-4 has subtle degenerative disk disease with a subtle broad-based left paracentral disk protrusion, casing a mild narrowing of the left lateral recess.  (Whatever that means.)  There is abutment of the descending left L4 nerve (without definite compromise.)  It has a subannular tear in the left paracentral posterior location.

L4-5 has a broad-based right paracentral disk protrusion, causing a mild narrowing of the right lateral recess.  The right L4 nerve root is abutted, with possible compromise.  There is a mild degree of facet arthrosis on the right side.

L5-S1 has a moderate degree of disk space narrowing with degenerative disk disease and Modic-type II endplate changes. (Those radiologists with their wacky terminology.)  There is Grade1 retrolisthesis of L5 on S1, measuring .4 cm.  The disk has broad based disk protrusion, causing effacement of the anterior epidural space.  (I have no idea what this means).  There is no definite compromise of the exiting or descending nerve roots, but there is some abutment of the descending S1 nerve root.

So, all that medicalese?  Works out to I have five bad disks, but none of them are REALLY bad.  I don't have any disk fragmentation.  None of the nerves is totally effed.  And while I do have some spinal cord compression, it's minor.

So, I'm good.  No bouncing, but I'm good.

Thursday I go see my chiropractor to review the findings, and I guess I need to find myself a friendly neurologist and physiatrist, but I'm going to take Mom's advice.  Which is to stop when it hurts.

I have already given up running. And riding horses above the walk. I feel better walking than sitting, so I have NO INTENTION of giving up hiking (and you can eff off if you plan to advise it).  And I will make my own determination about whether or not I can carry a backpack.

Actually I'm planning a short, rocky hike with backpack this weekend to see how it goes.  I'm sure I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Glad things aren't worse than they are. Some people with horrible looking backs do fine. Some with great looking spines have pain. Backs are mysterious. I like Mom's advice. Life is too short to quit hiking before you absolutely totally and emphatically have to. I can't "hike" any more but I can still have fabulous walks in the woods. Have a great hike this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm.. I missed a subannular tear on one of them.

    ReplyDelete