Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Aliens have Left the Building

I woke up early this morning.  Early!  There's something to be said for this "getting enough sleep" thing.  Though don't mention it to JD, because he is sleep deprived and grumpy.

I had time to drive out and check on Pluto before work. He had, naturally, removed his fly mask.  And acquired two new bloody spots - one at the point of his cheekbone, one just under the forelock.  I found and replaced his flymask.  He didn't object at all.  I think he likes it.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't take it off on purpose.  These things just happen.

I have ordered two new flymasks of different brands in an attempt to find one that will stay on him (and also not rub his sensitive nosie area.)

I was relieved that he seems back to normal, psychosis-wise.  When I drove up he looked out and then returned to his round bale, and I thought I might be dealing with Angry Teenage Horse again.  But after I got out of the car he came thundering up to the gate with Mystery, and was his own lovely self.  Lovely being a euphemism for affectionate, pushy, too smart, playful, etc.  You know, Pluto.  He's special, he really needs his own adjective.

He followed me around the field, half an inch away, while I looked for that dang fly mask.  They should really sell them in brilliant orange so they're easier to find.  Black blends too much.

He's probably out there cursing right now, as it is hot as balls.  If I were a better person I would go out and hose him off daily, but I am not.  And I had already spent an hour on the driving out to see Pluto thing today.  So, he gets to be a sweaty horse.

I'm not sure when I'll be healed up enough to ride again, so our foreseeable future involves a LOT of walking on the lead.  Fun times.  One way or another I will wrestle him into submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment