Friday, June 17, 2011

Hello Kitty, for all your adhesive needs

Well, I was much less bummed out today.  I got a great night's sleep, and my natural happiness just sort of welled up.  I can't help it.  I'm kind of a happy person, especially since that whole marriage thing happened.   (Hi JD!)

I went to see my primary care physician today.  I am still not sure if I needed her authorization to get an MRI, but it wasn't really worth the hassle of contacting the insurance folks.  Plus, it's good to keep the doc up to date on my health issues.  I asked her to write the authorization for my whole spine, not just the lumbar area.  Since I had no clue I had a disk going bad in the lumbar area, I do wonder about the rest of it, and I do have two other problematic spots - one thoracic, one cervical.  I'd rather not wait until they're completely shot to find out I should have been taking better care of them.

She gave me a general checkup while I was there, and I was pleased to be able to tell her that other than my back, I feel better than I have in years.  Here's to healthy living!  And excessive amounts of backpacking.  I also caused her to guffaw, which is always fun.  I told her my chiropractor had told me no running and no horseback riding.  And my doctor, who has been my doctor for quite a while now and so is pretty familiar with my character, cracked up and asked "And did you LISTEN to her?"  I pretended to be offended for a second, but honestly I am pretty bad at following doctor's orders.  I try to take all of a course of medication, if one is prescribed, but I pretty much suck at lifestyle recommendations.  The first time a doctor told me to quit running I was 15 (and I actually did stop running for a very long time.)  The first time a doctor told me to quit riding I flat out told him no.  (Same doctor.)  I asked him what he wanted me to do instead and he suggested knitting.  Indoors.  I don't get what it is with all the people who want me to stay indoors.  I mean, yes, I keep getting Lyme disease.. and I sunburn like nobody's business.. and I've broken around 30 bones while having too much fun.  Okay, I've lost track of what my point was.

Anyway after that I called to schedule the MRI appointment.  The scheduler was taken aback that I wanted to get all three areas scanned.  "But you'll have to lay still for an hour and a half!" she exclaimed.  "Fun times", I said.  I mean, maybe I will find that it is indeed onerous.  But having an hour and a half where I just get to be still?  Nothing I have to do?  Sounds pretty good to me.

I hear the machine can be loud, though, and I'm not getting the open MRI.  I hope my claustrophobic tendencies stay under control.  But I'm not really worried about my ability to lie still for an hour.  In fact pretty soon I'm going to go upstairs and practice.  For eight hours!

After work today I finally got around to sorting out some of my camping gear.  My house has camping gear scattered all over it, which should surprise exactly no one.  I still have no idea where some of the stuff is.  And I keep finding stashes of camping food here and there throughout the house, as if a giant redheaded squirrel has been preparing for winter. (1)

Sooner or later I'm going to have to put all that stuff away.  Sooner, I guess, because we're going to have a houseguest soon and she's probably going to want access to the guest bed.  And possibly other parts of that room.

I came across my Hello Kitty Duck Tape (tm) and got around to putting some on my poles for hiking.  I absolutely cannot wait to offer it to some burly hiker man in need of tape.  I look forward to watching the mental struggle as he tries to decide if his emergency is serious enough to suffer having Hello Kitty on his gear.




(1) If you bury a sausage, will you grow a sausage tree? (2)
(2) What about if you bury a packet of ramen?

No comments:

Post a Comment