Saturday, November 6, 2010

Glad I'm sleeping indoors tonight

It's chilly out today.  I'm decked out in high tech fabrics, but not for hiking.  I'm going out to ride the horse later.  Still, the clothes make me think about hiking.  And the cold makes me remember the not so good parts.  I can (and probably will) name a bunch of things I dislike about backpacking, and yet I crave it.  I'm looking at maps and wishing I could thruhike again.  Perhaps enumerating the dislikes will help me be happy with dayhiking and short trips.

In the order that they occurred to me:

Being cold while trying to sleep.  This SUCKS.  On the other hand, once you get warm it's awesome.  But I've spent nights awake because I was too miserably cold to sleep.

Slippery rocks.  These can show up anywhere.  They sucker me in.  They *look* dry and normal, but you put a foot on them and it's like you stepped on a banana peel.  Sometimes you know it's slick but there's no other way around (large tilted rocks at the tops of ridges, usually*) so you just hope for the best.

Eating trail food.  The gorp and bagels are only fun for so long.  Then you want real food.**

Missing your family and friends.  Oh lord.  This sucks.  If you get in with a tight group it's not so lonely, but if you're by yourself all day and all night?  Yeah.  Miss them bad.

Stinky clothes.  Stinky backpack.  Stinky tent.  The clothes smell good for about three minutes after you wash them, then they reek again.  A wind blowing past your armpits can make your eyes water.  It's embarrassing to get caught in an enclosed space with non-hikers, because you know they're wincing away.

Nope.  Still want to hike.  Dang!


*Kind of like this.

**




No comments:

Post a Comment