Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Unfortunately, what he had ordered was the Venti Mocha

I forgot to mention the last straw from last night.  As I was leaving work, I adjusted my rear view mirror for night time driving, and it came off into my hand.  I started giggling.  Parts of the rest of the day had been bad, but this was just ridiculous.  Fortunately at the next stoplight I found that it had slipped off a mounting and I could slide it right back on there.  Which I did.

I got up an hour early this morning so I could try not to be too late to work after driving out to the horse farm to dose Pluto.  I made a cup of coffee, then used the Keurig to make plain hot water in a travel mug that seals really tightly.  I packed up that, a bottle of karo syrup, some paper towels, my 60cc syringe (what, don't you have one in your kitchen?), and a fresh jar of apple sauce.  With all that crap in tow, I headed out to the farm.

Once there, I loaded fifteen pills into the syringe, then drew some hot water out of the mug.  But it was .. kinda brown.  I suddenly realized I had failed to take the decaf hazelnut coffee container OUT of the Keurig before pressing the "please make me some hot water" button.  So Pluto got his morning dose of antibiotics in latte form.

After the pills had all dissolved, I sweetened the mix with the karo syrup, and set out to catch Pluto.  He had been watching intently from the gate, but as soon as he saw me get out of the car with a giant syringe he left.  I trudged after him for a while, then realized it was pointless.  We could spend hours like that, with me walking just out of reach behind him.  Instead, I stopped and turned my back to him.  Fifteen seconds later I peeked over my shoulder and saw him facing me.  I turned and walked away from him.  Very shortly thereafter, a horsey nose hove into view beside me.  I looked up at him, "surprised".  I threw the rope around his neck and buckled him into his halter, then gave him a cookie.

When I got the syringe out of my pocket, he tightened his lips and threw his head up.  His entire body said "Nuh uh!"  I managed to wedge the tip of the syringe between his lips and press the plunger.  You should have seen his eyebrows fly up.  I'm pretty sure he's never had coffee before.

A couple more cookies and a pat, and I was done.  I took a moment to appreciate the beauty of the scene - fuzzy white horse standing on frost-coated grass.  And then it was back to the highway.  Oddly, I got to work on time.

At some point during the day it occurred to me to check the cafeteria for apple juice to use instead of coffee.  They had it in wide necked plastic bottles, bonus!  I was feeling quite the genius until I put the syringe into the bottle while sitting in my car, out at the farm.  I put it in too far and displaced apple juice from the bottle to all over my lap.  My pants, my underwear, the driver's seat, and probably the rest of the car are now sticky.  Not genius.

Pluto was standing impatiently at the gate, waiting for his cookies and antibiotics.  He and Mystery milled about in the light of the car's high beams.  I didn't have to chase him this time.  The new flavor caught him by surprise again, but I think he kinda liked it.  Not sure enough to add it to his food, but fairly sure.  Perhaps I'll experiment with it over the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment