Saturday, December 17, 2011

In which Pluto is unhelpful

I tried an experiment this morning.  Pluto has been taking his antibiotic/apple juice /karo syrup  solution by syringe quite nicely, so I had hope that he would eat food soaked in it.  But it was not to be.  I mixed the solution with some pellets, and doused the mass in still more karo syrup.  Not only did he not eat it, he never even tasted it.  He just sniffed it and then gave me a look.  And that was that.

I gave in the inevitable and prepared another syringe on the spot.  He gracefully submitted to me haltering him and putting the medication in his mouth.  He just wasn't going to do it on his own.

I worried about how I would get his medicine into him on the last day of the course of medication.  I have found a solution, fortunately.  I asked one of the other horse owners if she would do it.  She's in college right now, and on winter break so she has the time to drive out to the farm.  She agreed.  That takes a load off of my mind.  I will still medicate him morning and evening for the next several days, which is an annoyance.  Not so much the medicating as the driving.  I went through a tank of gas last week because of driving back and forth to the farm.  Normally a tank of gas lasts me two or three weeks.  But beside the expense, I miss the time given up to commuting between the farm and home and work.  I most keenly feel the loss of two hours a day from my free time.

Although I have been medicating him religiously on schedule, I haven't been able to check to see if it's helping.  I plan to bring him out of the field tomorrow and try to convince him to let me look.  He is at times oddly shy about his wiener.

No comments:

Post a Comment