Saturday, December 3, 2011

Something I hope to do again in the not too distant future

What a nice day!  I got to sleep in, then I met Windy out at the farm so she could ride Pluto.  At a trot, which is something I can't really do.  He needed the exercise.

It was really nice to see Windy.  Usually we see each other only a couple of times a year, at Renaissance Festival and maybe once at sig-beer.  So it was special to be able to get together and spend time with a horse.

Pluto was on reasonably good behavior today, other than his forceful head-dives for any green-looking grass.  He was actually a little bit low energy in the warm afternoon sun.  Windy had to boot him a couple of times to get him trotting which is NOT like him it all but is better than his occasional explosion.

I started her on the longe to let her get used to that bit trot, then gave her reins and let her go.  I was pleased with both of them.  She adapted to his very bouncy trot really well, and he handled having a new rider really well.  Amazingly, my stirrups are actually a bit long for Windy.  (The same stirrups had to go all the way to the last hole for my trainer Amy, and were still a wee bit short for her.)

Here he is just trotting like a normal horse:



After she rode, I got on and walked him around doing some lateral work.  Also, I chatted with Griffin.  He's relatively new to the farm.  He thought we had been introduced before but I didn't remember it.  He has a really cute little four year old mare he was working with, and I really need to get him to teach me and Pluto some of the things they did because it looked really fun.  And let me take this opportunity to say really a few more times because it is a word I really like.  Really.

He volunteered to take pictures of me and Windy and Pluto:

I had no idea Pluto was sticking his tongue out, but I find it hilarious.

And here we are all looking kind of normal, although I look maybe a little overenthusiastic.  You think?
Later in the day my farrier came out and now Pluto has pedicured feets and he is very happy.  Or maybe he's happy because of all the cookies he got.  Either way, a happy horse is nice to have.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I was really bouncing out of that saddle! You're right. I need to keep lower in the seat and work with his movement more. You are a sweetheart for letting me try him. I hope we can do it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handled better than I did the first times I rode him. Of course, back then he lurched a lot. Nevertheless you did great.

    ReplyDelete