Monday, December 5, 2011

The dog and I make a fine, gimpy pair

I haven't talked about the dog very much lately.  She did very well all summer, recovering from her extreme bout with inflammatory bowel disease.  Last month we tapered her off of steroids (on the vet's advice and schedule), while leaving her on the other drug she was taking.

In the last two weeks, unfortunately, she hasn't been feeling very well.  Either she needs to stay on steroids, or it's time to change her food again (as the doc predicted we would probably need to, about six months from when we started her on duck and potato food.)  We're going to go visit our veterinarian tomorrow to talk about it.  I hate to see her hurting.  She moans and groans, moves very very slowly, and has little appetite.  It's hard to watch.   The disease waxes and wanes, so some days she feels better.  It's easy to pretend she's fine on those days.  But when she's at the foot of my bed, groaning in her sleep, it makes me sad.  I hope we can come to a happy medium with the disease again, after a change in diet and medication.

For myself, I'm pondering life with degenerative disk disease.  I've been doing some reading in equestrian forums.  There are plenty of people with problems just like mine.  Many of them ride.  Many of them ride but say it hurts, or that their legs go numb.  I don't want that.  Most of them say that finding the right saddle makes a huge difference.  I hadn't even considered the saddle issue.

I've been very good about not riding when I'm already hurting, and riding only at a walk.  I haven't gone jogging at all (well, barring several steps at the metro a few weeks ago.)  And the damage from the disease is still spreading.  I'm not sure my activity (or lack thereof) makes as much difference to the progression of the disease as I thought it did.  If the disease is going to get worse regardless, maybe I should enjoy what I can do now, while I can still do it.  Some time when Pluto is feeling very sedate, I'm going to try a few strides of trot to see what happens.

In January when my insurance changes I hope to get into physical therapy.  I'm also contemplating acupuncture.  Apparently it can be quite effective in this instance.  The description I've read is that while it doesn't heal your back damage, it teaches your body to ignore the pain.  Kind of like painkillers, but without the organ damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment