Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sleeping outside just seems weird, somehow

My new sleeping bag (a Western Mountaineering AlpinLite) showed up today.  I'm wrestling with the idea of sleeping out on the porch tonight to test it.  On the one hand, it's a good idea to find out if it's warm enough.  On the other hand it's kinda noisy and bright out there from traffic and streetlights.  And I'm going camping next weekend so I can test it then.  And just looking at it you can see it's got more loft.

I'm kind of talking myself out of it.

On the other hand, it definitely doesn't have as much room as my stretchy bag, and if I wedge my knee up near my chest like I like to, I think I'm going to compress all of that nice loft.  I tried it in the living room.

Decisions, decisions.  I bet most girls never have to decide whether or not they're sleeping out on their porch in 40 degree weather.

It's looking very much like there might be a government shutdown at the end of the week.  If that happens, of course, I won't get paid.  But I don't mind that so much.  I might mind not accruing leave during that time..  I have vacation plans, after all.

My manager asked if I'd take off on a hike during a shutdown.  Probably not.  The weather has been sucking great big goose eggs recently.  And with a government shutdown I don't know when it will end, which makes planning pretty tricky.  Still, it's an enticing idea, isn't it?  If you're a crazy hiker person.  Which, apparently, I am.

With both JD and I working contracting jobs, we might have to arm wrestle over who gets to leave for a shutdown.  He has a significant weight advantage.  And longer arms. And he's not ticklish.  Dammit.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know how MUCH I love your blog? Do you? A bushel and a peck and I love it all to heck...that's how much. I wish you had something to write a whole book about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, eArThworm, that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever gotten! I wish I had something to write a book about, too. I was thinking about writing about my thruhike, but "and then I got to Woodstock and had to go home to work" just seemed like a really lame ending.

    ReplyDelete