Friday, April 15, 2011

In which I cancel a hike and then get drunk

Today was not a great day.  The sun was shining, birds were probably chirping, but it was not a great day.  Anticipation shuddered to a smoking halt as I read the weather reports and realized that my hiking weekend with DeLee was not going to happen.  I had already stated (with good reason, I think) that if the forecasted winds got up to 50 mph then I was going to cancel.  And they got up to 50 mph and I canceled.  But I wasn't happy about canceling.

DeLee, bless her heart, immediately came up with a backup plan for the weekend.  We are going to REI (where I am going to return my new trail shoes which make my legs tilt inward, and now I don't know what I am going to run in) on Saturday and finding somewhere to go on a long dayhike on Sunday.  But in the meantime, I fell into a funk.  At 3:30, which admittedly was the end of my 40 hour legal work week, I said "Eff this place, I'm going home".  Except I didn't say eff.  And then I went home.

At home, I got out my last two ounces of scotch and the last bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, and I totally went off my diet.  As I was nomming chips, Shirley called to see if I wanted to come over this evening.  I already had a date with JD to go to the Korean/Greek place that has replaced Regina's (may it rest in peace) Pizzeria, but I texted him to see what he wanted to do.  He was fed up with everybody with a driver's license, and I was all funky, so we decided to go to Shirley's instead.

It turned out to be a good decision.  Seeing Shirley and Susan was good for my soul.  I laughed until I cried (while JD was out getting actual food, so he missed it.)  I drank emergency Double Bag and ate tortilla chips with toppings on them and generally felt better about the world.

This bowl *had* been on the chest freezer and I thought the cats had developed mad skilz, but it turned out JD moved it.  Ripped up paper courtesy of Olli.

Susan

JD, deep in discussion

my savior

Shirley looking much more respectable than she really is

Turns out it's spring, or something
So I guess I'm over my disappointment, sort of.  We can't reschedule the hike because I have plans the next two weekends, and the weekend after that we're going on a week long hike.  So it's a total loss (except for the REI trip and the dayhike).  I'll still get to see a lot of DeLee so I should really stop feeling sorry for myself.  So I won't get to hike until I'm sore and get blisters, and get cold at night, and smell bad.  Poor me! 

Still, I'm kinda pissed at the weather.

I texted Point Goose, the thruhiker I'm following this year, to let him know about the severe weather hitting tomorrow.  He, in turn, called the local hostel (Woods Hole, and I totally recommend them should you be hiking through) and they're coming to get him tomorrow.  So I know he'll be safe and I feel good about that. 

Basically my life is good and I should be a lot more grateful than I am.  Maybe I'll get over it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment