Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Earl Grey, Hot, in about fifteen years

Finally, FINALLY, the weather cooperated and Tara and I got to ride on a Wednesday night.  It was lovely, too.  It was pretty warm during the day, but after the sun went down it was just right.  A little breezy, but comfortable. 

For once, Tara was riding the flighty TB and I was riding the Lipizzaner.  (Normally, she is riding the calm schoolmaster and I am riding the nervous Arab.)  (Same horses, btw, just different night.)  I told Tara that I didn't know who this horse was, but I didn't want the old one back.  She's of the opinion that he's developed another brain cell, which brings him up to four now.  Curious, I asked how many she thought he'd end up with.  She said she thought at least 27.  Using this math and his rate of development, he should be doing calculus and serving me Earl Grey tea by the time he's done.

I asked for and got a lot of good stuff from the horse tonight.  Solid stops, a lovely swinging walk, a nice trot, much more developed lateral work, light contact, good bends.  I was a pretty happy rider.  Until... the gnats came out.  They were "bugging" Pluto, swarming around his head.  I called it a good night and hopped off.  Then I helped Tara move jumps out of the arena so we can get it dragged.  Pluto and Timber followed me around (why?  Isn't there something more interesting elsewhere?) and when Pluto found a good opportunity, he snuck up behind me and headbutted me.  Literally.  His head, my butt.  He kind of launched me forward a bit.  I whirled on him, calling him a bad name, and he shied back.  I'm pretty sure he thought he was going to get it.

I hollered but I didn't do much to him.  It doesn't work to discourage his sense of humor.  He, like most boys, will only find a more annoying way to express himself.

Tara and I made plans to take the boys out for a ride on Saturday, which I'm looking forward to.  Assuming it doesn't monsoon.  Wish us luck!
Pluto, wondering when I'm going to get around to putting a bridle on him.

I find it very difficult to work on the security plan at work.  It takes a lot of concentration.  Any time I'm interrupted it sets me back at least fifteen minutes.  So I have a sign up - If I'm wearing the hat, don't interrupt me.  Or I will turn you into a newt.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to point at the sign a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment