Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stinker's not really feeling up to snuff

Pluto was not looking good when I went out to see him this morning.  It was raining, which accounts for some grumpiness, but he was far less lively than usual.  The weather is predicted to be cold and wet for the next while, so I had already planned to blanket him.  Usually he prances around and gives me a bunch of nonsense about blanketing.  Today he just stood there.  His hipbones stuck out.  I think he's losing weight.  He was eating hay steadily, at least.  I had wondered how good his appetite would be with a big old sore thing in his jaw.

I hope the blanket helped him feel a little better.  At least it made me feel better to know he would be a bit warmer.  His skin felt cold to the touch before I blanketed him.  I imagine the blanket was an improvement.

Tomorrow I should have test results, and possibly even a lead on what antibiotics might work.  Or maybe he'll start to heal on his own.  Whichever, I want my snarky pony back.  Stoic quiet horse just isn't Pluto.

I'm sure I'll pay, in spades, for that wish as soon as he is feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment